How would you export the following project?

First, thank you to those responsible for Shotcut and for keeping it open to the public.

How would you export the following project without degradation and a “significant” increase in size? I am just looking to join the two files together, without noticeable quality loss, while keeping the combined file under 10GB . The two files are almost identical – two halfs of a basketball game. Total size/time for both files: 6.2GB/55:56. Looking for specific export settings. Thank you in advance.

File 1: 2.1GB 22:46
1920x1080 h264
Codec: H.264/AVC/MPEG-4 AVC/MPEG-4 part 10
Resolution: 1920x1080
Frame Rate: 30.0108 variable
Format: yuv420p
Aspect Ratio: 16x9
Scan Mode: Progressive/bottom field first
Color Range: Broadcast limited (MPEG)

File 2: 4.1GB 33:10
1920x1080 h264
Codec: H.264/AVC/MPEG-4 AVC/MPEG-4 part 10
Resolution: 1920x1080
Frame Rate: 30.0108 variable
Format: yuv420p
Aspect Ratio: 16x9
Scan Mode: Progressive/bottom field first
Color Range: Broadcast limited (MPEG)

I understand that “lossless” export profiles (FFV1; H264; HuffYUV; UtVideo) could be used for this. You will find them in the list of export profiles.

However, the increase in size will be significant.
I can only advise you to try different settings within each profile to assess the resulting quality and size.

If you just want to combine the two files into one video without re-encoding the easiest way to do it would be to use Avidemux, as tong as the videos are the same resolution and frame rate… Add the videos to the application, save in copy mode. It’ll combine the videos in less than a minute. The file-size will be equal +/- to the sum of the two videos.

If you want to use Shotcut then as @ejmillan suggested, pick a lossless export for the encoding. Then you can use Handbrake to reduce the file-size.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.