How to see all timeline layers in ShotCut?

Hi there, I know this has been discussed in other posts before, but I was wondering if there might be a work around that I’m not aware of. When I’m working on a project, I often lose sight of the timeline layers at the bottom of the screen. I toggle from “Maximize” mode to “Restore Down” mode and then back to “Maximize” mode and the layers come back up, but then they disappear quickly again. I’m running on Windows 10. Any suggestions?

Increase the height of the timeline panel.

1 Like

On the Timeline box, you can break it out and position it how you would like.
Lowering the track height as @sauron has shown will help as well.

How to lower track height.
shotcut_2019-09-24_03-29-05
2019-09-24_03-43-36

When you’re done, you can just move the window back to where it was and it will snap back in place. Or you can just restore to the default layout, or a different layout of your choosing.
2019-09-24_03-51-01

Sauron & Hudson, Thanks for your help with this. Unfortunately, I’m working on a laptop, which doesn’t provide a lot of screen area to work with. However, your tips did help. I’ve just about got this small project done, which I’ll use with my students. Cheers! :blush:

Do not forget that you can scroll the timeline view up and down as well.
Another trick if you want to give up viewing other panels temporarily:

1. Double-click the timeline panel title bar to make it float.
  2. Resize the floating timeline panel as large as you want.
  3. Double-click to the panel title bar to dock the panel back into the main window.

Thanks Dan! As a newbie to ShotCut, I appreciate your (and others) help. I’ll give it a try. Although I am finding ShotCut a bit quirky, I love how it is open source (on somewhat the same level as GIMP for image editing), and the assistance provided by you and other volunteers is top-notch. Thanks loads everyone!

Any chance you could hook your laptop up to an external monitor or television? Then you could move your preview to the external monitor and fill your entire laptop screen with the timeline. Or vice versa. Extra points if you put your external monitor in portrait orientation and move your timeline there.

Thanks Austin…Great idea. I’ll see if I can find another monitor and hook it up. Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.