How to Rotate Landscape Video to Portrait

Here is a 2-minute tip to show you to rotate your video, since it’s asked virtually every day.

5 Likes

Thanks, our official video on the subject is more about rotating vertical video for wide aspect ratio output.

Is there a reason you use the unfamiliar Sh logo instead of the Shotcut one?
https://shotcut.org/media/

Also are you aware that Shotcut includes vertical video modes?

Hmm… and they are both about to become obsolete. :pensive:

1 Like

I’m not sure exactly why he uses the logo he does, but from seeing multiple types of Shotcut tutorial videos, people mimic the Adobe type logo, as a way to draw people to click on the video.

1 Like

He’s right. I wasn’t even aware that was the Shotcut logo. If I used that logo, people won’t immediately associate it with a video-editing program, so I’m piggy-backing off a more familiar branding that the Adobe suite has created. Plus one of the first tutorials I watched as I was learning was done by Tuxdesigner and he’d been using something similar, so logos have been inconsistent across YouTube.

Yup, I realize that as I was making the video that rotate and scale is going away.

I was a graphic designer and creative director in a previous life, ever thought of a rebrand of the logo?

That explains the snazzy circle-dithered masks over your video thumbnails. Sharp designs!

1 Like

Ben, I’m not sure he saw this comment as your reply was to yourself (easy to do, I’ve done it a few times). But you bring up a good point. SC is getting to be a player in the world of video editing. Like it or not, image identity will play an important part of how it gets perceived among the others. I think a well-considered logo will go a long ways toward achieving that goal.

Haha thanks!

I think that Shotcut is very powerful and can ascertain the same brand recognition as the flagship brands. I told myself when I first started video editing that the moment I hit a dead-end and get frustrated enough with Shotcut due to inability to accomplish certain tasks, that’s when I bite the bullet and start using DaVinci or Premiere. Well, nearly a year later and I’m still using Shotcut. That’s why most of my tutorials are based on trying to achieve more advanced, cinematic techniques that many Premiere users do. In fact, I probably watch more Premiere videos than I do Shotcut to test myself to see if I can do it in Shotcut. That fact that I was a logo design professional and didn’t realize the “pause-looking symbol” was the actual logo, should say something. Even if that was an actual logo, anyone who isn’t familiar with Shotcut, seeing that on a thumbnail would just just think it’s merely a design element and not a logo. It’s a great-looking icon, but I think it’s too understated to be a logo. If I see a an Adobe Premiere logo or a DaVinci Resolve logo on a thumbnail, I immediately know what software it’s for. Just my 2 cents…

1 Like

Unless @shotcut is not interested in new logo ideas, I’d like to see some of your design concept for a new logo. :grinning:

1 Like

Maybe one day…I’m retired from logo design lol

It looks like a clip (shot) on a track after it has been split (cut): ][

I do not understand how it cannot be perceived as a logo when it is literally everywhere on everything officially Shotcut - app icon, splash screen, about dialog, top left corner of every page of the web site and forum, favicon, social media, etc. A logo that looks like an Adobe product is unacceptable. Neither do I want anything representing the old world of film including film strip, reels, or scissors as they are old and overdone. Rebranding is a lot of work that mostly comes after the initial design. I simply do not have time in the short- to mid-term and will not consider rebranding for at least a year.

1 Like

I understand. After you pointed it out the first time I realized that was a logo. I just initially thought it was merely a design element. Imagine if I had this image at the top corner of my thumbnails. Would people immediately assume this is a logo or a design element?

I see your point, but when the logo or space is large enough I include the text “Shotcut” as I did on https://shotcut.org/media/, splash window, and the intros on the official Shotcut videos. When it is smaller, the text would be illegible.

1 Like

I’m not lobbying for a change. I see the use case now. I’m just pointing out how I missed that it was a logo.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.