How to quickly find out what's the length of a clip in ShotCut timeline?

Currently, I put the pointer at start of clip, note down the time - then put pointer at the end of clip, and figure out time difference / duration of clip. Is there an easy way?

How to quickly find out what’s the length of a selected clip (with red outline) in ShotCut video track timeline?

1 Like

Select the clip on the timeline. Press c. Click the Source tab. The duration of the clip is where indicated in the screenshot.

2 Likes

Thanks, above trick worked for me - o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶f̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶I̶ ̶p̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶h̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶e̶n̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶c̶l̶i̶p̶.̶ ̶O̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶w̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶u̶r̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶c̶l̶i̶p̶ ̶-̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶w̶i̶s̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶w̶s̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶-̶-̶:̶-̶-̶:̶-̶-̶:̶-̶-̶:̶ ̶/̶ ̶-̶-̶:̶-̶-̶:̶-̶-̶:̶-̶-̶:̶̶ ̶ edit. it is working now, don’t know why.

Also, when I go to Source tab the selcted clip (red outline) becomes unselected again.

If you click the project tab the clip you selected becomes selected again.

The right-hand indicator (named “Duration of clip” by @sauron) is called “Selected Duration” in SC (I know this from a mouse-over).

So when you select “nothing specific” (or you have the entire clip selected in project) this indicator shows “nothing”. But when you select any portion, the selected duration is filled in.

hth

Thanks @Playmountain for clarifying.

Seems you don’t even need to press c. Just select the clip and click the Source tab and the selected duration is displayed.
Ignore the above information. It is incorrect.

That is incorrect. The Source player is a media container in Shotcut - separate from Timeline and Playlist. Nothing goes into there until you tell it to. Simply clicking a clip in Timeline does not make it go in there. You must Copy it in as you noted in your first reply. In case you opened a clip (from File > Open or Recent), which puts it into Source, and then add it to Timeline the source clip is still in Source. However, they are different clip objects within Shotcut that refer to the same file. For example, at this point they could have different in point, out point, or filters.