How to put images into a composite layer

Hi everyone,

I’m a windows user and I’ve been looking for a great video editor that is freeware for a LONG LONG time; which has the editing tools I need to edit my gaming sessions; and shotcut is great for this. I do have a couple of questions which I will be putting in several forum posts, but here goes the first question.

Usually in my videos, I like to put in a composite layer with an image that has a transparent background in it so that I can visually “point” to some items. I usually use items like arrows, crosshairs, etc. and I usually only want the image on the screen for ~10 seconds max. I was trying to do this last night and I was able to do it after about 20 minutes of fiddling with the program, but I thought to myself that there has to be an easier way to do it.

Can someone put together a video that shows the simplest / most efficient way to input an image into a video by creating a composite layer? (Or however you do it the easiest / most effective way)

Thanks!
~Mike

Add a new video track, place the image in the new track, adjust its length, add the Size & Position filter, and adjust that.
See also the “Picture-in-picture effect” video here: https://www.shotcutapp.com/tutorials/minitutorials/

Thanks, I will take a look at that :slight_smile: