How to import TIFF files to make a movie

Hi!

I’ve just downloaded and installed Shotcut, and I was looking through the tutorials to see if there was one that applied to what I wanted to do, but couldn’t find any. I also tried searching the forum to see if anyone else had a similar question, but again had no luck.

I have a series of TIFF files that I created in Processing (http://www.processing.org). I want to import each TIFF file as a single frame and export them as a movie. I tried clicking and dragging them onto the playlist, but it seems to treat each file as a clip 4 seconds in length, rather than a single frame. Is there an easy way to do what I want in Shotcut?

Thanks,
David.

Sometimes faster to just use an app for the purpose.
Try MakeAVI
http://makeavi.sourceforge.net/

Actually it’s easily done in Shotcut, as I have just discovered.
Last summer I walked round my garden taking a photo for each step, this generated over 100 jpgs!
Here’s what I did in Shotcut:

1. “Open file”
  2. select all jpgs (all in one folder, Ctrl/A)
  3. Open - this put all jpgs in playlist. Took a while…
  4. Press “space” to stop the timecode fireld whirring (no idea why the timecode activates like that),
  5. When all clips are in playlist, select the top one.
    6)Drag top clip to timeline
  6. Go to properties tab.
  7. Click “Image sequence” and " Repeat 1 frame per picture"

Whoof - SC then creates a video in the timeline with 1 frame per picture.!
Playback in the timeline was very slow but video was fine after I exported it. Result - nice timelapse video of my garden!
Hope this helps, I presume this will work for TIFFS.
Jon

Thanks, works perfectly! I’m not sure what you mean in step 4, though.I didn’t see (or hear) anything whirring.

David.

Hi David,
Pleased that you got it to work OK.
Very useful feature, that…

Ooops, whirring was not the best description of mine!!! :grin:. I’ve noticed that when you open a still photo, the timecode field to the bottom left of the starts going - ie counting up in milliseconds and seconds, until I press space to stop it… Also, even more weirdly, the timecode to the right shows 04:00:00:00 which I am taking to mean that according to Shotcut my photo lasts for 4 hours (???) Does this happen with you? I’m wondering if it’s a bug.
Jon

No, the duration went to 4 seconds for a single image (maybe so you can create a slideshow?), not 4 hours. I’m running version 17.09.04 on Windows 7.

David.

I have to verify, but I think just opening the first shot (+ selecting image sequence) is enought.

Really, if you’re just wanting to create a video from an image sequence, there’s nothing easier than MakeAVI.
Pointless to piddle around trying to get a ‘video editor’ to do something a dedicated and simple tool can do in moments.

David:I have to verify, but I think just opening the first shot (+ selecting image sequence) is enought.

Me: OK, thanks, so you don’t have to drag it to the timeline first? Useful to know…

Fair enough. However, just tried Make AVI and personally I’d prefer to use Shotcut. I can export straight to mp4…

Steve: But I do want to do more, eventually. Like add an audio track, for example.

It wasn’t me, it was Keno40 that said this.

But .AVI can them be imported/dragged into Shotcut for final editing. AVI is like .bmp is for images, it isn’t h.264 compressed like .mp4

See comment above :wink:

Honestly guys, it’s much quicker all 'round.

Hi Steve, what’s h.264 compression?

H.264 or MPEG-4 Part 10, Advanced Video Coding (MPEG-4 AVC) is a block-oriented motion-compensation-based video compression standard. As of 2014 it is one of the most commonly used formats for the recording, compression, and distribution of video content.

I agree. I also prefer making a lossless clip then importing it into a video editor.
Thank you for the link to this little app. It works quite nicely. It’s a pity that it seems to be unsupported since 2002 though it needs only some tiny ergonomics enhancements (drag-drop of files, not being asked for the output format every time).
Maybe one could write a simple drag-drop GUI for ffmpeg using commands like those listed here:
http://hamelot.io/visualization/using-ffmpeg-to-convert-a-set-of-images-into-a-video/
I’m tempted to try to do this for my own use, or maybe add this feature to an existing app of mine. But with Windows 10, sharing such home-made apps has become nearly impossible, as all unknown applications are blocked :confused:

It’s what Shocut does : using ffmpeg to create a video. And you can create it loss lees and then use it in your project.

Thanks. I never thought to try this;) – indeed I never needed it yet. But I seldom think of using “big” apps for doing “small” tasks.