How to ignore alpha channel?

I just spent 2 hours trying to figure out how to get Shotcut to display frames WITHOUT the alpha. Just ignore it and show me the full RGB image WITHOUT transparency. No luck figuring it out myself or finding an answer online.

Hi @Mojo

Is that what you’re looking for?

No, I think Mojo is looking for like Crop: Rectangle with changing the size or position. And then you can choose the background color if you want something different than black.
Your request is declined.

Thanks for the video, that shows changing the background color. I have HD frames of an object against a background with an embedded alpha (32 bit PNG) for the object. When I load the frames shotcut sees the alpha and I get an image of my object against a black background because it’s using the alpha.

I just want to see my full frame with the original background and have Shotcut just ignore the alpha/transparency. Or a way to just turn it off.

In After Effects you can just click “ignore alpha” when you look at image properties.

Since your request has been declined, perhaps there is a workaround and you can use a graphics program to batch convert these frames. That way you can have each frame with and without alpha, and go from there?

I don’t know what “request declined” means, I didn’t make a request, just asked if there is a way to have Shotcut ignore the alpha. It seems like my question is confusing people, I thought it was pretty straightforward.

I’m not looking for anything like a crop tool or to change size or position or the background color. I just want to TURN OFF transparency on a clip or frames that have an embedded alpha.

I don’t think it is currently possible, which is how I interpreted “request declined”, meaning it isn’t going to be added, although I understand how that could be confusing (and I may well still be confused!). Hopefully I’m wrong.

At any rate, I believe I did understand your objective correctly and the link I posted earlier does offer ways to do that externally.

You could have done it a few years ago using the Text:HTML fillter and the simple Javascript below. Unfortunately that isn’t an option with versions of Shotcut after 20.07.11:

const imageData = ctx.getImageData(0, 0, canvas.width, canvas.height);
    const pixels    = imageData.data;
    const length    = canvas.width * canvas.height * 4
    for (let i = 3; i < length; i += 4) {
        pixels[i] = 255
    }
    ctx.putImageData(imageData, 0, 0);
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.