How to gradually apply an effect? (new user)

Hi,
I downloaded Shotcut just over a week ago to make a video for my 20th wedding anniversary … a compilation of a bunch of video clips and photos from our marriage. It was nothing fancy but made my wife cry, so major success!
My son then asked if I could help him with a film of a college (fashion) project, so I’m thinking I need to raise my game and try out some more ‘arty’ effects.
At this point, please excuse me for asking any daft questions … as I say, new user, and I just learned the basics I needed for the anniversary video.
I can see there are various effects to change a video clip, e.g. to make it coloured, or high contrast and so on.
Is there a way to gradually apply an effect during the course of the clip, e.g. to gradually make it more blurry?
Also, in looking for ‘arty’ effects, I’d be happy to receive any of your ideas!
Thanks very much.

1 Like

Yes.
If the effect has key frames, not all do, then you can use key frames to adjust the intensity and duration of the effect.

keyframes tutorial.

1 Like

Ah, great, thanks for such a fast reply and link to video
Looks like I’ll be using the second and maybe the third of the techniques shown in the video.
I’ll spend some time trying things out.
Much appreciated sauron.

Just wanted to add that I spent some time with filters and keyframes last night, managed to generate a few ideas, particularly when coupled with slow speed … need to experiment further but thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

To create a nice title and rolling credits for the video have a look here:

and here:

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll look into it

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.