How to Detach Audio from Video

Beginners tutorial describing how to detach the audio and video on the timeline. Please let me know if you have any questions, suggestions or improvements? Thank you.

1. Select the video on the timeline
  2. Right click
  3. Hover over More
  4. Click on Detach Audio
3 Likes

Nice.

I separate audio from video in all of my projects.

One reason is that I have found that some video sources produce output with the audio up to 500ms out of sync with the visible action, so all of my video recording sessions begin with a synchronization clap.

This video shows a way of doing so that is very handy.

1 Like

I watched about ten of the Shotcut related videos on your channel and I was please with the quality. Useful content, well explained and easy to follow for new Shotcut users. Well done !

1 Like

I have to do exactly the same, my webcam and mic record with slightly different starting lags. Annoying but easy to fix!

Thank you for watching :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks very much! This means a lot :slight_smile: I’m starting simple but will hopefully get to more advanced topics before long!

1 Like

I can’t find More when I right click on the audio or video track in timeline. What am I doing wrong? I have the latest version of Shotcut installed.

On later versions of Shotcut just Right-Click on the video clip and select the “Detach Audio” option.

1 Like

is it possible to detach audio on multiple clips at once?

hi Mox601, I do not believe so. Its a per-clip job to detach all clips. If the clip starts as one long clip you can detach befroe you start cutting, that might help depending on what you are trying to achieve.

Hey Joe! :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed: :slightly_smiling_face:
Long time no see

hello :slight_smile: