How to Create YouTube Shorts

I’ve been testing out YouTube Shorts recently and made this guide on how to create a #Shorts video using Shotcut.

Hope you enjoy :smiley:

4 Likes

Great intro! Very easy to follow

Great tutorial. :+1:

I was not aware of that thing called YouTube Shorts.
Oh well… there goes my last hope of seeing a time where vertical videos will disappear from the internet.

5 Likes

Hmmm - i wasn’t aware of YT shorts as well and i still dont know what they are good for?
I simply dont understand the concept of having a horizontal landscape video format in vertical mode - thats simply a stupid idea in my opinion or i just dont get the clue. Watched it half way and it was all about the wrong mode for the wrong format? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Completely agree, the entire idea of YT Shorts is to record from your phone in vertical mode, basically the same as TikTok. I was just demonstrating an option if you were trying to use a horizontal video (which came from a question I received a few weeks ago!).

I wonder why they promote this idea? Its simply stupid.

2 Likes

Ya, What we could achieve on YouTube Shorts could get with 15 second video, Just some like and views. Nothing else.

I think those 15 seconds watching shorts the most annoying time :confounded:.

Ironically it doesn’t even do that very well! If a viewer watches YT Shorts from a mobile (in the intended way) it doesn’t count towards the watch time on your channel. Only if they view it from a PC as a standard video.

YouTube is trying to cannibalize on the Tiktok movement when they realized that people are getting tens of millions of views per day. It’s more short form (60 secs) and more geared to young people on their phones, making little dance videos. They’re testing it out right now, but have no idea how to integrate it into their main products. They saw a gap in the market when Tiktok was banned for a little bit and thought they could swoop in, and basically Instagram did the same thing.

3 Likes

Tiktok was downloaded by more that 200 million users in India before it was banned. YT Shorts was first trialled in India and most shorts were apparently re-uploads of Tiktok videos.

Yes, here in India many apps were banned. Peopled think in India the reason to ban those apps was people were getting addictive to them, but the actual reason to ban tiktok, Pubg,etc., is in the following statement.

Read the statement:
" The government had banned 59 Chinese apps in June last year referring to them as being “prejudicial” to India’s sovereignty, integrity and national security. "

1 Like

I just watched my first (and last) Tiktoc video. It had over 15K likes and it was appalling. Half of the video was obviously landscape with most of the action at the side chopped off so it was square! The other half was full portrait again badly edited. Human eyes are positioned horizontally across the face for a reason. If we were meant to see the world in Portrait they’d be positioned vertically!

2 Likes

I have a feeling the Flip Ultra camera is partially to blame for the “vertical video” trend.
It was very popular between 2006 to 2011 and was used by many youtubers. It’s popularity started to fade at the apparition of the first smartphones with HD capabilities.
Although it was shooting horizontal videos, it’s shape probably contributed at creating the habit of holding a camera vertically.

Thank you, this was very helpful. I didn’t notice that there had to be a special format for shorts, I thought some people just took bad videos with some black frames because they used their phones!
Is it necessary to make a video with these dimensions to be qualified as a short? Or can it just be any normal video that is simply under one minute?

I guess simply a 1 minute video could work, my cousin posted a video in landscape and got 10k views in 2 days (I don’t know how she posted it, I do shorts very rarely). That’s fair enough to justify that the video should be just good and under time frame, not really the parameters matter.

Btw, do you know why people usually like lip sync and auto tune instead of originality? I only like the originality of the video like mrwhosetheboss, and some other good ones.

Hey,
A YouTube Short must be in vertical format and under 1minute in length. YouTube allow square videos (1:1) to qualify as a Short but nothing in landscape will go to the Shorts-shelf (which is the place Shorts appear on YouTube)

1 Like