How to Create Tilt-Shift / Miniature World Effect in Post Editing Using Shotcut

I’ve seen this weird technique where everything looked toys or a miniature world. I wanted to see if could replicate it on Shotcut. Surprisingly, it’s very easy.

5 Likes

Thanks for this tutorial, Ben - great job!
I quite exactly thought it was made like this :slight_smile:
To get the effect even more precise you would need to generate a ‘depth mask’ and apply different amounts of blurring according to the depth of field. You could apply the blurr filter multiple times with different amounts of blurring and different masks according to the depth in the video frame - but this is already a fairly good approach. Important is the already toy perspective of the clip as you mentioned.

1 Like

I noted the use of a black background used to set up the mask.
Would simply hiding the bottom track have the same effect?

I am about to look for a clip to try this out.

1 Like

Went looking and the first clip I found had already had the effect applied!!

Sharing it, because its a different use of this effect.

https://pixabay.com/videos/car-road-transportation-vehicle-2165/

1 Like

No, Unfortunately, without a different background, you won’t be able to see the boundaries of the mask

You are right - I found the same.

I also tried adding choppy effect (3 frames) on the bottom video. This looked really good when previewed, but the exported video had it flashing through to black.

Take a look here - I linked back to your tutorial.

1 Like

that first clip really looked good, especially the people in motorcycles

Another fine tutorial, Ben! A few tips picked up there! :+1:

1 Like

Thank you sir as always!

1 Like

Yesterday I watched this tutorial with my family on the living room TV.
It was great to see how this effect is created in your tutorial. My son (who uses Shotcut for his videos) was excited about this original use with the single mask filter.
Congratulations. Your videos are easy to follow and have practical applications that can be transferred to projects in Shotcut, quickly.
I will be a little out of touch with video editing for a while, but I like to see this effective use of Shotcut.
Also, the “toys” effect can be used more often now that Christmas is approaching. Good thinking.

2 Likes

That’s great! Yes, I was amazed how easy this actually was on Shotcut, and it works time and time again. I’m glad you and your son like it!

1 Like

Another great tutorial - many thanks to you. Your tutorials and those of Jon Ray have been inspirational and deepened my knowledge many fold. Cheers!
Roger

2 Likes

Glad I could help!

Wow, thanks @robridge, it spurs me on to do more when I see a comment like that. :+1:

1 Like

Do it!

1 Like