How to create animated HIGHLIGHTED TEXT in Shotcut - great for poems, songs, or lyrics subtitles - my new tutorial

Hi folks, for the hell of it I went back to making a Shocut tutorial just to see if I could do it in a few hours.
I did it - please note though that this is not complete and not ready for public viewing. There are several things I want to add and improve on before I unleash it on the general public - so it’s set to “unlisted” at the moment.

About the voiceover - my plan is to re-record the voiceover with my own voice eventually but I wanted to try out some text-to-speech apps first.
I found that this technology has come on lots since I last investigated.

I liked “Voicebooking” a lot - it’s the one @musicalbox uses. However I was only allowed three WAV downloads (and a restriction on characters of text) before I had to pay. (I don’t mind paying a subscription though and probably will do soon)…

But for this one I used Natural Reader. There is no restriction on the length of your voiceover text, although you have to subscribe to allow your voiceover to be sent to you as an mp3.

Because I plan to re-record my voice and replace the commentary, on this occasion I got round it by making a screen capture of the recording and using the audio from that.
I realise this is not entirely in the spirit of the website so if I do it again I will subscribe.

Anyway, enjoy my “voice” - George from the UK. As I made him say at the end of the video, he’s “rather posh”…

7 Likes

Dammit - I should have made out that I hired Prince Charles for the voiceover. I reckon some people would have believed me … :laughing:

2 Likes

I don’t use their WAV download thing.

I just paste a few lines of text in the text area of their free voice over generator, start recording on Audacity then launch the voiceover.
Then I trim the extra bits in Audacity and save as a .wav file.

2 Likes

Cool! A bit fiddly and time consuming but it gets it done… thanks!

1 Like

Hang fire folks - I had a pleasant and helpful PM from @musicalbox to say that there’s a way easier way to do this than my method. I’m happy to admit that his method is superior …

Basically you can just place a colour clip directly onto track V2, size it so it covers a line of text and keyframe it so it slides over the text. Then apply the Blend Mode:Add filter, and it works perfectly. So no need to mess about making a yellow/black transition then exporting it as a video. Also no need for the Colour Grading filter. Just use another colour clip.

Seems I was using a sledgehammer to crack a nut… oh well, that’s life … my tutorial can now go into retirement before it got to go public…

@musicalbox sent me a .MLT of his method. I’ve attached it here:
highlights.mlt (10.5 KB)

@musicalbox, if you’d like to re-post the little tutorial video you sent me showing your method, feel free to do so.

1 Like

Basically, the first SP&R filter is used to set the size of the color clip and to animate it from left to right, with keyframes.
The second SP&R filter is used to change the position of the animated color clip to another line of text.

3 Likes