How do I zoom in?

In a clip that I’m making, I’m wondering how I can zoom in on his face. I’ve never edited or made a clip before, so non-tech answers are much appreciated. If there isn’t a way, might I also ask if there is a way to create a shadow on the screen, where everything but a select space and size would be cast in shadows? Thank you for any help :smiley:

The “Size and Position” filter can be used to zoom.

I’m not sure what you mean by “shadows”. you just want some parts of the picture to be darkened?

I think the “Rotate” filter is the one used to zoom.:confused:

1 Like

The “Rotate” filter does have a zoom option. The “Size and Position” filter will also zoom if you click the “Fill” button. I prefer that one because you can use the handles on the preview to change the zoom and you can move it around.

2 Likes

Learned something new today. Thanks.

You’re going to have to demo that one. I can’t see any way of zooming with that filter, Brian.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xx98sKBcLK4

Thanks Brian.
But wow, that’s a messy method. :smiley:
It’s super laggy on my system, controlling the selection rectangle and trying to position it precisely is next to impossible even with a 720p source video.
I much prefer the other method, I can zoom in on 4K with it.

This method can yield a much higher magnification than the Rotate filter.:+1:

Yes, if there is a way to darken some areas. And how do I add filters? I click filters, but can’t hit the + or do anything to use the size and position thing.

Not certain of your meaning here, perhaps you mean a vignette?
If not, kindly supply an example.

You need to select a clip on the timeline or the video track itself then hit the plus to add a filter.

1 Like

Great tip Brian! Looks very easy to use, gotta try it!

Thanks for this. I was just searching for zoom information and came across this timely thread.

A related question. Using either the Rotate and Scale or the Size and Position filter I get a fast transition to the zoom setting. Is there a way to make it more gradual? Or at least some other transition filter which concerning make it seem less sudden?

Adjust the keyframes:

Closing this thread as it is old and answered.

1 Like