How do I set indexing so I can fast forward my videos

When I playback my shotcut videos on my TV, I am unable to fast forward them or go to a specific time point. I noticed that many Shotcut edited videos do not include an index.

How can I turn on automatic indexing?

Thanks.

Not sure about indexing but going to a specific time is usually affected by a long GOP, this helps in compression but requires more processing to display images fast. Try a test export with GOP of 10 or 30 (=equal to the framerate) and if it works try to see how high can you go before your TV can’t keep up anymore.

Thanks daniel47, I set GOP to 30 but it did not work.

I also tried reencoding the video with XMedia Recode. This worked!
I can now fast forward the video and go to specific time points when playing it on my TV.
I will experiment with the Codec settings in Shotcut to get them closer to what XMedia uses and see if this works.
I will try an mpeg4 Codec setting in Shotcut.
There are so many presets and so many setting per preset in Shotcut! How can someone make sense of it all?
XMedia uses a device output format that allows me to select my TV (Hisense) and extension (mp4).
I will post the results.

A quick follow-up.
The mpeg4 codec setting worked but the video quality dropped.
I need to research the best codec that includes indexing or can be indexed by Hisense TVs.

I recommend the Media info tool to see details about the video files, check to see what XMedia did and try to match it in shotcut.

Well it’s actually straight-forward: if you don’t need specifics just go for the default one and ignore everything. It works for 99% of situations.

But if the default doesn’t work for you, you need to have a reason why, the presets are usually very clearly named if you look for something specific - say you want to export for a DVD, you just click on it, or maybe for Youtube, it’s there. This is specifically so you don’t have to go into the advanced tab.

The last step is you use the advanced box and go very deep if you want or need some extremely specific.

I’d personally go with the H264 Main profile with a GOP=fps. Unless it is a 15+ year old non smart tv it absolutely has to be able to play H264 because 90% of standard video is H264 (phone, cameras, internet streams etc).

Does the encoding use constant bit rate or variable bit rate? Maybe the TV doesn’t like variable bit rate. That would be a surprise, but surprises have happened before.

Also set B-frames to zero as a test, just to be absolutely sure. Some hardware players struggle with B-frames, although it’s usually 4+ B-frames that hardware players start to struggle. But it’s worth a shot to test it at zero.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.