How do I open a completed video

I finished making a video with music, I used the Export button to save it to my computer. But it’s impossible to open the file for me, since every programme doesn’t want to open it. For example I get a message like this - “This file isn’t playable. That might be because the file type is unsupported, the file extension is incorrect, or the file is corrupt.” How can I save my file so I could successfully open it even if I send it to a different person through gmail for example.

Please right-click on the job and press “View XML”. The file name with extension should be recorded under target.

I suspect that the file extension is missing, so the .mp4 if you used the default export.
If you changed your export settings, add them to your reply.

In versions from this year, this really only happens if you are changing things in the advanced mode such as format. If you did this and did not add an extension and do not know how to use other programs that do not depend on extension, then you are not advanced and had no business going into there and changing things.
So, first, state your version, and upgrade if you have not recently. Secondly, wait for export to finish before trying to use the file. Third, try opening it in Shotcut. When an Export job is done all you need to do is double click the job to open it in Shotcut. Include more information next time.

You mean this here? I don’t see an option for that.

No, there is somewhere a Jobs panel, which is enabled in your screenshot, but perhaps hidden as a tab. In my case it shares the same space with “Recent” and “History”.
XML2
There you can view the file.
XML3
But after @shotcut’s comment, I do not think that is the problem anymore.
You did not change any settings for the export, did you?

Please try this suggestion.

Could you make an example project with a couple of pictures and export that? Then you could upload it. Maybe that will give some insight.

- How I save the video is that I’m pressing the Export File in Default settings down there and save it as an mp4 file, but when I try to open it, it’s not possible.

Also in the Jobs tab, am I missing something since it is empty?

The job should appear after you click Save in the file dialog. If it did not, then something went wrong. You can use menu > View > Application Log… and scroll to the end to see if it reports anything useful. Your original post said it created a file, but you never stated or showed its name or size. That would be helpful. There is a possibility you ran into the following bug because the temporary directory on your computer is not writable, which is a major configuration problem that will likely cause problems for other applications as well:

[Debug ] [producer avformat] audio: total_streams 1 max_stream 1 total_channels 2 max_channels 2

[Debug ] [mlt_producer avformat-novalidate] “C:/Users/User/Videos/Untitled Video[1].mp4” checking VFR: pkt.duration %I64d

[Info ] [filter swresample] 2(stereo) f32le 44100Hz → 2(stereo) f32le 48000Hz

[Info ] [consumer sdl2_audio] Audio Opened: driver=xaudio2 channels=2 frequency=48000

[Warning] <> file:///C:/Program Files/Shotcut/share/shotcut/qml/timeline/Track.qml:87:25: Unable to assign [undefined] to QString

[Warning] <> file:///C:/Program Files/Shotcut/share/shotcut/qml/timeline/Track.qml:86:20: Unable to assign [undefined] to double

[Warning] <> file:///C:/Program Files/Shotcut/share/shotcut/qml/timeline/Track.qml:85:19: Unable to assign [undefined] to QString

[Warning] <> file:///C:/Program Files/Shotcut/share/shotcut/qml/timeline/Track.qml:84:22: Unable to assign [undefined] to int

[Warning] <> file:///C:/Program Files/Shotcut/share/shotcut/qml/timeline/Track.qml:83:21: Unable to assign [undefined] to int

[Warning] <> file:///C:/Program Files/Shotcut/share/shotcut/qml/timeline/Track.qml:78:27: Unable to assign [undefined] to bool

[Warning] <> file:///C:/Program Files/Shotcut/share/shotcut/qml/timeline/Track.qml:76:22: Unable to assign [undefined] to bool

[Warning] <> file:///C:/Program Files/Shotcut/share/shotcut/qml/timeline/Track.qml:75:23: Unable to assign [undefined] to int

[Warning] <> file:///C:/Program Files/Shotcut/share/shotcut/qml/timeline/Track.qml:74:22: Unable to assign [undefined] to int

[Warning] <> file:///C:/Program Files/Shotcut/share/shotcut/qml/timeline/Track.qml:73:25: Unable to assign [undefined] to QString

[Warning] <> file:///C:/Program Files/Shotcut/share/shotcut/qml/timeline/Track.qml:71:27: Unable to assign [undefined] to QString

[Warning] <> file:///C:/Program Files/Shotcut/share/shotcut/qml/timeline/Track.qml:87:25: Unable to assign [undefined] to QString

[Warning] <> file:///C:/Program Files/Shotcut/share/shotcut/qml/timeline/Track.qml:86:20: Unable to assign [undefined] to double

[Warning] <> file:///C:/Program Files/Shotcut/share/shotcut/qml/timeline/Track.qml:85:19: Unable to assign [undefined] to QString

[Warning] <> file:///C:/Program Files/Shotcut/share/shotcut/qml/timeline/Track.qml:84:22: Unable to assign [undefined] to int

[Warning] <> file:///C:/Program Files/Shotcut/share/shotcut/qml/timeline/Track.qml:83:21: Unable to assign [undefined] to int

[Warning] <> file:///C:/Program Files/Shotcut/share/shotcut/qml/timeline/Track.qml:78:27: Unable to assign [undefined] to bool

[Warning] <> file:///C:/Program Files/Shotcut/share/shotcut/qml/timeline/Track.qml:76:22: Unable to assign [undefined] to bool

[Warning] <> file:///C:/Program Files/Shotcut/share/shotcut/qml/timeline/Track.qml:75:23: Unable to assign [undefined] to int

[Warning] <> file:///C:/Program Files/Shotcut/share/shotcut/qml/timeline/Track.qml:74:22: Unable to assign [undefined] to int

[Warning] <> file:///C:/Program Files/Shotcut/share/shotcut/qml/timeline/Track.qml:73:25: Unable to assign [undefined] to QString

[Warning] <> file:///C:/Program Files/Shotcut/share/shotcut/qml/timeline/Track.qml:71:27: Unable to assign [undefined] to QString

[Info ] MainWindow::showStatusMessage “Checking for upgrade…”

[Debug ] MainWindow::onUpgradeCheckFinished response: "{\n "version_number": 191020,\n "version_string": "19.10.20",\n "url": "https://shotcut.org/blog/new-release-191020/\“\n}\n”

[Debug ] Mlt::Controller::saveXML writing temporary XML file “C:/Users/User/Downloads/shotcut-a17200.mlt”

[Debug ] Mlt::Controller::saveXML copy to backup “C:\Users\User\Downloads\Loovtoo Video + Music.mlt” “C:/Users/User/Downloads/Loovtoo Video + Music - backup - R17200.mlt”

[Debug ] Mlt::Controller::saveXML rename “C:/Users/User/Downloads/shotcut-a17200.mlt” “C:\Users\User\Downloads\Loovtoo Video + Music.mlt”

[Info ] MainWindow::showStatusMessage “Saved C:\Users\User\Downloads\Loovtoo Video + Music.mlt”

This is the about second half of the application log, since there was a character limit. I don’t know what’s wrong here, but here is the application log. I’m sorry, I’m just very inexperienced on this kind of stuff.

Your log shows no attempt to export. The log is cleared every time you start Shotcut. You need to try to export and then view the log. And, again, you still have not shown the file that was created - the one mentioned in your original post.

I went through all of the posts again, and this time looked at jobs after I immediately exported and there was something there. I saved it through there and it worked. Thanks a lot for the help.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.