How can I make the video better quality BEFORE RENDERING?

Good day!

Lets say I have a video with high compression on it and I would like to make it look like a native 1080p (and up) recording. It would be great to “hide” the pixels around the edges.
Are there any filters in Shotcut to do this? Are there some more advanced methods?
Is a function to upscale videos suitable here?

If it makes any difference, my hardware is:
Intel Core i7 8th gen QSV compatible
RTX graphics card

greetings

If the original video / input video is bad there is no method to make it really much better.
Anything scaling up will even let the error be more visible, so no good idea.
There might be some very specialized filter to improve little imperfections like shakiness or some small artefacts via compression, but no algrorithm on earth can realle cure them.
There are algrorithms that can reduce dirt and bad pixels, but nothing is perfect :wink:

2 Likes

The “Reduce Noise: Quantization” filter could help. But like @RilosVideos said, bad video in is usually bad video out.

1 Like

Thank you very much for a fast answer.

I am recording with OBS and the settings are:
Encoder: nVidia NVENC
CBR
120000 kbps
keyframe = 0
preset max quality
no lookahead
psycho visual tuning enabled
max b-frames are set to 4

input and output resolution are set to 1080p
integer fps 70fps
scaling filter lanczos

I think they are enough for providing good quality when recording games.

But I am curious to know how to get it near to 1440p.

I accept that nothing works perfectly.
Thank you very much.

Curious why you use 70 fps?
Most computer monitors support 60 Hz and 70 fps wouldn’t fit really well into the frequency of the monitor resulting probably in stuttering e.g. It would be only visible in fast movements but you should think about using 60 fps :wink: You would also get slightly smaller files and probably even better quality in playback.

1 Like

Hey,
You can set your export settings to a higher resolution than the recording. It wont improve the actual quality but it will up-scale the finshed file to a larger size (ie. you record at 1920x1080 but export at 2560x1440).

I do this for most of my videos - I record at 1080p, but upload them to YouTube in 4k. Just be aware the actual quality remains the same, it just creates larger files and ‘looks’ like your quality is better than it actually is.

1 Like

I have already known that. My question was about BEFORE rendering.

I appreciate the answer though.

1 Like

I tested it on
165hz monitor (1080p) clocked at:
60hz
75hz
120hz
144hz
165hz

and on a smart tv (4k) at
60hz and 75hz

The result was that 70fps provides the more benefits of higher fps and visual quality.
I have never experienced any stuttering since I was testing settings and I personally do not upload anything on social media (like youtube).
Primarly it is for homeuse only and when friends are around.
Actually there are a lot of fast actions going on the screen like racing cars and smoke effects spreaded by fast fans.
On the one hand there are recording from games on the other hand I am filming slower motions and movements in real life (for playback on tv alongside preparing food, etc.).
Those are then recorded at 240fps and 4k and then being rendered to 4k60fps playback material.
I guess my questions and yours are answered now.

Thank you for your advice!

I can’t help with before rendering, but while recording you could really improve. Max B-frames should be at 2 (more b-frames means more compressed frames).
Max quality can cause frame drops(set it to the quality preset there is no noticeable difference), and the keyframe interval is best at 2 -10 (0 = automatic which is unreliable). I know you asked how to make it look nice before rendering but if you wanted to fix quality while recording that could help.

2 Likes

Agreed. I would also recommend some form of bicubic scaling instead of Lanczos. It’s faster and has less chance of halo/ringing artefacts.

I’m also leaning towards 60fps instead of 75fps. I can understand that 75fps looks better on the OP’s screen. But how many other viewers are running at 75 Hz refresh rate when they play back the video on their screens? Next to nobody runs at 75 Hz refresh rate. So this 75fps footage will have frames dropped when played back on everybody else’s 60 Hz screens and will appear to stutter, as @RilosVideos correctly pointed out. It may look okay if viewed with a 144 Hz monitor, but is this a safe assumption to make about the viewers’ hardware?

EDIT: Sorry, just saw the post that said the videos were for home use, not general viewing. Yes, if you have that much control of the viewing environment, then the higher frame rate does make sense.

1 Like

Thank you very much. I did not know that.

Your tips are very good though. Thank you very much.

Thank you very much for your help.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.