How can I de-activate a part of a cutted clip?

Welcome! This is not directly available. There are a lot of things not available in Shotcut when compared to similar mature tools. See the features and road map pages on the web site to learn more. To achieve what you want maybe you can apply the Mute and Opacity filters and toggle them.

Thank you very much for a fast response. As I am not next to my working computer I cannot directly look. So I’d like to ask: Is the mute filter working for audio or also for the video? Anyway, I will have a look next days and try out.
Thank you again.

If I understand you correctly, this is something I do all the time in Shotcut.

1. Split the clip.
  2. The cut-off portion should be “selected” (it shows darker). If it is not, select it by clicking on it.
  3. Click on the Properties tab.
  4. After the word “Track” (Under “Video”, over “Codec”) there will be a shaded box (mine says “1: 1020 x 1080 h254”: yours may say different) Click on the box.
  5. Of the options shown, select “none” (The word “none”)

Your cut-off clip should now be invisible, having no effect on either Preview or Export.

[Modified] Google Translate:
Wenn ich dich richtig verstehe, mache ich das die ganze Zeit in Shotcut.

1. Teilen Sie den Clip.
  2. Der Cut-Off-Bereich sollte “ausgewählt” sein (er wird dunkler angezeigt). Ist dies nicht der Fall, wählen Sie es aus, indem Sie darauf klicken.
  3. Klicken Sie auf die Registerkarte Eigenschaften.
  4. Nach dem Wort “Spur” (unter “Video” über “Codec”) wird ein schattiertes Feld angezeigt (meins sagt “1: 1020 x 1080 h254”: Ihr Wort kann etwas anderes sagen). Klicken Sie auf das Feld.
  5. Wählen Sie aus den angezeigten Optionen “keine” (das Wort “keine”).

Ihr abgeschnittener Clip sollte jetzt unsichtbar sein und weder die Vorschau noch den Exportieren beeinflussen.

1 Like

Thank you very much for all your help. Could not check before now.
Adding the opacity filter did not change anything. But I found that also other people had a problem with that. Maybe I will care about that later, because I work with German language (easier for me) and have either to swich SC to English or look for translations …
Setting “Track” to “none” does exactly what I want it to do: Clip is still there but no longer visible. Great!
Thank you again and have a good week
Hans

1 Like

I didn’t think of changing languages in Shotcut to find the correct labels, and then correcting Google.

That is done now.

The fun part was remembering enough German to find my way to setting the language back to English in Shotcut.

Ich habe nicht daran gedacht, die Sprache in Shotcut zu ändern, um die richtigen Beschriftungen zu finden und dann Google zu korrigieren.

Das ist jetzt erledigt.

Der lustige Teil war, mich an genug Deutsch zu erinnern, um meinen Weg zu finden, die Sprache in Shotcut wieder auf Englisch zu setzen.

Look at how I executed it here

1 Like

Beautiful video, @bentacular; I am wondering what advantage the extra track has over leaving the split clips in the original track and toggling their visibility off in Properties.

1 Like

It all boils down to preference. Many times, the clips I move to the invisible track is not set in stone. I like having the ability to just move them back and forth quickly. Visually, from a quick glance, I immediately know which file is visible and which is invisible vs having to go to properties each time for each file to figure out if it’s on or off

2 Likes

What is Fast Proxy in your configuration?

Ah, I was wondering if that was it.

I find myself clicking the playhead at various points for just that purpose - and sometimes I still get lost.

I usually use three cameras, and sometimes 4 or 5.
Plus I use one-up tracks for complex transitions when I cut a small section out and engage the Ripple Twins to move everything up a few seconds.
So If I used an extra track for my invisibles, that would be a lot of tracks to scroll up and down.

1 Like

This tutorial was done before Proxy Editing was introduced in Shotcut. Back then, you generated your own proxy files. Luckily, a forum member by the name @KKnBB created a proxy creation tool that allowed us to create proxy files quickly. Those were the files his tool created.

I still generate my own proxies, then rename them with the hashcode to use Shotcut’s automatic features.
For some reason on my files the proxies Shotcut generates are huge, several times the size of the original files.

1 Like

This is where the possibility to compartmentalise the project into smaller parts and import it into a new root project using the “Import MLT xml as clip” functionality comes in.
Where you have 4 tracks you would have one clip on one track.
If you need to modify that clip, you can go back to the initial project, make the changes and they will be reflected in the root project. I don’t know if I explained it well. I hope you understand.

I remember, but I never experimented with this in my simple projects.

1 Like

That works for the kind of videos I see most people creating, but not for mine.

The clips are tied too tightly together in content for that; what is done on any file must be in the context of the adjacent files.

After my preliminary quality corrections and synchronizations, I have 4-6 files of identical length, synchronized in time, of different views of the same subject.

1 Like

I think it was mentioned in one of the publications, and
it happens to me from time to time.
I think the main purpose of a proxy is not so much to take up little space as to be lightweight in terms of processing, so that it is easily editable, with low coding requirements and very compatible.
Then that proxy can be larger than the original video, surely to preserve these advantages in various possible scenarios.

1 Like

Try that tool I shared. It works great and you can control the size of the proxy

The comment was not meant as a complaint, or a change request.

I simply am out of space on all my drives; I am constantly juggling files to and from Dropbox.

1 Like

Maybe some day.

Right now I have my workflow stabilized using “Export All from Playlist” and my own optimized Preset and Profile.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.