High(er) End audio quality

The closer you get to perfection the easier it is to see how far from it you are.
Life is too short.

Ticon65: can you post a link to your video on YouTube?

I wonder if Opus would handle the audio any better. It sucks that YouTube resamples to such a limited range of formats and you have no control over them.

Hi Chris (changed my face btw). If you mean if I uploaded my composition using AAC in Youtube Iā€™ll have to say ā€˜noā€™. I searched YT to enhance my upload but didnā€™t find the option.
I have the feeling that I donā€™t understand exactly if AAC is an extention or a compression method?

In Shortcut (before the upload) I tried several formats like Dan suggested. This resulted in file sizes from 6Mb up to 3Gb. I chose an audio setting which said ā€œhq-audioā€. Resulting in a file of 26Mb.

(Sorry for my lousy English).

AAC is an audio compression scheme ā€” Advanced Audio Coding.

Again, my thinking is that YouTubeā€™s resampling might do less damage if you upload AAC, so give it a try.

Do you have a link to your YouTube video?

As a longtime classical music listener, I totally agree with you: Iā€™m afraid when I see the way my grandchildren listen to music.
They want to get big bass with small speakers, they donā€™t really care about stereo and donā€™t even notice when it is missing. I think the average quality of home music listening was much better in the 70ā€™-80ā€™, when hi-fi systems were the most desirable goods ā€“ along with reflex cameras :wink:

Hey I stumbled on this, Iā€™m not sure if it helps but it looks like youtube is going to cap you at 126(which is weird)

1 Like

I think there is a misunderstanding between audio bit rate (sampling)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_(signal_processing)#Sampling_rate
ā€¦and Audio Bit Depth rates.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_bit_depth

How many of the YouTube viewers would have equipment that would benefit higher than a 48k sample rate?
So you go with 96k to push this way out of the ball park for pro consumer grade.

For example my headphones frequency response is 5Hz - 33kHz. But I had to seek these out from a high end music website, and at that time they were not cheap, $300 at that time. My hearing is tested every 5 years, and I can still hear around 7Hz. Good luck finding any consumer grade headphones that give anything below 20Hz on the low, or anything above 20kHz on the high, if you can even find the frequency response listed on the box/package.

For example this pair of headphones: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/skullcandy-hesh-2-0-over-the-ear-headphones-black-gunmetal/4295025.p?skuId=4295025 Typical find. 20Hz-20kHz. 95% would recommend this product from BestBuyā€™s website. 2231 Reviews. This is whatā€™s getting sold to consumers.
Personal opinion: these are a junk.
No specs listed for Dre Beats headphones.

Might want to see whatā€™s actually being sold on a consumer level to understand what people have to listen with instead of wasting time trying to force a bit rate sample rate that will probably will not matter past 44.1k. If people want to hear your music the way you intend, and they have the hardware to support it, host your own website with the ability to post any file you wish. GoDaddy is a wonderful service for domain names and hosting. Although you can find hosting services anywhere.

1 Like

Just a counterpoint to that 20hz-20hkz is itā€™s not hard to get good headphones anymore. I picked up htcā€™s high res audio earphones with my HTC10 when I bought it two years ago. They were 29.99 and list 10hz-40kHz as their response range. Although theyā€™re not available anymore, it looks like pioneer sells a 8hz-45khz for 80 these days https://amzn.to/2Mivyhe

Agreed anything thatā€™s called ā€œskullcandyā€ is junk though

1 Like

My point is people are not specifically seeking these out. The skullcandy and dre beats are the high demand items and thatā€™s whatā€™s being sold. You @D_S & I want something better and we seek that out.

1 Like

Very true, I can only hope that something similar to whatā€™s happening with monitors(ips everywhere finally) happens to audio in the next few years.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your input,

Iā€™ll look in to the links later today. Generally I agree with you all. Theoretically nobody should be able to hear very low frequencies <22Hz or above 18.000Hz. As I use a synthesizer I can reach even the lowest frequencies (and Iā€™m not afraid to use them). These low frequencies enhance the overall feeling of the music and even at normal volume (if you have a fairly good audio system) you ā€˜feelā€™ these notes in your stomach.

P.s. My apologies to Shotcut if my topic is getting a bit diverted but itā€™s an interesting discussion and Iā€™m getting som usable information from everyone here.

Anyway, Iā€™m using a Beyerdynamic headphone, a Denon amplifier and Millon speakers. This system gives me the dynamic I want covering nearly every frequency.
For now Iā€™m going to work on an other composition and experiment with the upload results using your tips.

Thanks again and Iā€™ll get back to you.
Ticon65

Youā€™re confusing bit rate with sampling rate.

Sampling rate applies to PCM (uncompressed) audio and is usually 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz for high-fidelity audio .

Bit rate applies to compressed audio such as mp3, aac or opus and is a function of the compression ratio and other things.

From the article:

Actaully exported audio(mp3 ect) will have both a bit rate and a sampling rate, in this context however itā€™s usually the bit rate thatā€™s the limiting factor long before we can argue about 44.1 vs 48khz

Hi everyone,

First of all let me thank you all for your information, tips and advices:+1:.

With the directions you gave me I could narrow down most of the problems I encountered. This resulted in a drastic adjustment in my Cubase settings to begin with:sunglasses:.

I also experimented with the audio in Shotcut itself and found different settings which are usable for my needs:nerd_face:.
The only thing Iā€™ll have to look into are the settings YouTube has to offer. Although the exported video & audio sound already more acceptable. So time for me to rap it up.

Thanks again, good-luck with Shotcut and Iā€™ll be arround:wink:

Ticon65

When you have settings that are getting you the results you want on YouTube, please, share!

If you make an export preset you can find it (on Windows) in /Users/AppData/Local/Meltytech/Shotcut/presets/encode/ and can copy-paste it to the forum.

Recommanded audio settings by YouTube are :
Audio codec: AAC-LC
Channels: Stereo or Stereo + 5.1
Sample rate 96khz or 48khz

According to the Nyquist theorem, a 96kHz sample rate will top out at an audio frequency of 48 kHz. No human being can hear that. Only dogs. Itā€™s overkill.

I hadnā€™t seen this before.

Although it is not recommended, YouTube accepts compressed audio. YouTube transcodes from the delivered format; audio quality is much better when transcoded from a lossless format compared to re-compressing a lossy audio format.

If you must deliver compressed audio, use these specifications:

Codec: AAC-LC
Sample Rate: 44.1Khz
Bit Rate: 320kbps or higher for 2 channels (higher is always better; 256 kbps acceptable)
Channels: 2 (stereo)