Flicker on Exported Videos

I am having a very specific issue with my exported videos in Shotcut. So, I use GoPro Hero 9 to record videos in 4k (30fps). All of my clips are 5 minutes and 20 seconds in length except the last one. I am not sure but I am assuming that’s how GoPro stores video clips. After importing all the clips I use “Fade In Video” filter for the first clip and “Fade Out Video” on my last clip. After exporting the video I am noticing a minor flicker after every clip ends (5:20sec) within the final video. I don’t notice similar issue when clips are being played from timeline. I am not quite sure what’s causing this issues. Can anyone shed some light on this issue? Thank you in advance.

Sample video that has flicker on every 5:20sec interval.

My Export Settings are as follows:
Use hardware encoder: Checked
Video
Scan Mode: Progressive
Deinterlacer: YADIF-Temporal + spatial (best)
Interpolation: Hyper/Lanczos (best)
Parallel processing: Checked
Codec
Codec: h264_nvenc
Rate control: Constant Bitrate
Bitrate: 100M
Buffer Size: 1500
GOP: 150
B frames: 3

PC Config (just in-case if you want to know)
Intel Core i7 8700
32 GB DDR4 2666
nVidia Quadro P620

This could be a very small gap between the clips, I think you have not turned on snap toggle and that’s why it is having flicker. Or it just happens with some videos that has it’s first frame blank or black. You could try to delete the first frame, and place the next clip exactly next to the previous video by turning on snapping toggle. I exactly don’t know the answer, but I think these might help you.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your response. I had “toggle snapping” on. However, I was able to remove that flicker simply removing the first frame of every single clip except the first one. It was tedious but a simple fix. I am pretty sure it will help many in the future. Thanks.

1 Like

Were you using original GoPro files, or did you run the “Convert to Edit-Friendly” feature and use the converted files? If converted, sometimes the conversion duplicates the first frame.

I always use the original GoPro files and that’s where exactly the issue is. I do not have any issue with the first clip as I use “fade in video” filter at the beginning. However, consecutive clips tend to create this issue as you place them next each other it shows up on final rendered video. First frame of those clips needs to be removed to avoid such flicker. A lesson has been learned but I already uploaded 60+ videos on YouTube! I won’t go back to re-edit those files but from now on I will continue to remove the first frame regardless.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.