Filter suggestions for mid-side mic audio

I do nature videos. I want to upgrade my audio, and am considering a couple of different stereo microphones. One is an X-Y microphone, the other is a mid-side. I want to go with the mid-side.

Here’s what I would need to do:

1. Take the audio that is recorded on the left channel (“mid”), and pan it equally to the left and right.
  2. Take the audio that is recorded on the right channel (“side”), and pan it hard right.
  3. Duplicate the “side” audio, invert its phase, and pan it hard left.

Any suggestions on how to efficiently do that?

My videos are typically 20-40 short clips, so I would prefer to not have a complicated process to accomplish this.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Heh. Looks like nobody is using Shotcut for this.

In doing some research, Shotcut has a filter to do this, but it is not implemented and has no front end.

It’s ladspa matrix_ms_st_1421. Looks like one setting “Width” that ranges from 0 to 2, with anything in between being possible values.

0 is mono. As you get towards 1 it gets closer to full-width stereo. Beyond 1 and towards 2 is wider than natural stereo.

The other setting is “Wet/Dry” and ranges from 0 to 1. Looks like 1 is full wet.

I’m going to give it a go at making a filter for it, but truth be told, I don’t even know where to begin.

https://www.mltframework.org/plugins/FilterLadspa-1421/

A basic mid-side filter is simply:

Right = Mid - Side
Left = Mid + Side