Filter Set | Slide projector transition

I saw a cool and simple transition in a YouTube video today.
Remember the old days when a slide show was actual slides projected on a foldable screen? This transition kind of mimics what you would see when the projector switched from one slide to the next. But faster.

Here’s a demo of the Filter Set in action:

I made a version of this filter set for each of the following Video Modes:

Video Mode Resolution Frame rates (in frames per second)
HD 720p 1280 x 720 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94, 60
HD 1080p 1920 x 1080 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94, 60
UHD 2160p     3840 x 2160    23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94, 60

TRANS_MB__Slide-Projector_filter-sets.zip (75.9 KB)

The ZIP file also contains an audio file of the slide-changing sound effect you heard in the demo.
It’s 1-second long, so it matches the length of the transition and the peak of the sound will happen exactly at the half point of the animation. Just snap it under the transition clip. No guesses, no fiddling.

How to install a filter set:

• Download the ZIP file and un-zip it.
  • In Shotcut, go to Settings > App Data Directory > Show
  • If you don’t see a filter-sets folder, create one (use that exact name).
  • Open the filter-sets folder.
  • Move the un-zipped filter set file(s) of your choice in that folder.
  • Close and re-launch Shotcut.

Your new filter set(s) should be visible in Filters > Sets

Vt5pwMWesZ

How to use:

• Create a 1-second transition between 2 clips
  • Select the transition clip.
  • Go to the Properties panel.
  • Choose the Cut option, and set Position at 50%
  • Go to Filters > Sets
  • Select the Slide-Projector filter set.
11 Likes

Thank you @MusicalBox. Very very cool. I like it a lot. Nostalgia?
A few years ago, I created a video on this theme for a family party. Here’s a short sample.
My projector was more ‘rustic’ than yours :grin:.
(Of course, the photos have been replaced).

Merci @MusicalBox. Très très cool. J’aime beaucoup. Nostalgie ?
Il y a quelques années, j’avais crée sur ce thème une vidéo pour une réunion de famille. Voici un court extrait. Mon projecteur était plus ‘rustique’ que le votre :grin:.
(Les photos ont été changées)

3 Likes

Pas aussi nostalgique que de voir une diapositive inversée :scream: :rofl:

Merci pour le commentaire :slight_smile:

1 Like

Brilliant, @musicalbox - another keeper. Very creative. Thanks so much - I’ll be using it. And nice touch to include the audio clip. Wow, you even made the audio clip 1 second long to match the transition length. You are the bee’s knees! :smiley: :crossed_fingers: :honeybee:

1 Like

I remembered at the last second about that one time when you commented about the silence in my demo videos. That scarred me for life :pleading_face: :grin:
Thanks for the nice comment Jon :+1:

1 Like

Oops, sorry about that… :rofl:
Please keep your creativity flowing … :+1:

1 Like

By the way @jonray, did you recognize the song?

Do you mean the music on your demo video - the Yamaha DX7 playing improvised chords? No. Should I have?

Styx, the song is Babe

1 Like

@musicalbox I’d never heard it … but I have now. Really nice. Great to hear the classic DX7 keyboard sound. I used to have one.

1 Like

Jon… I can (barely) forgive you for not knowing that particular song.
But please tell me that you’ve heard about Styx before today. :flushed:

Sweet Madame Blue
Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man)
Come Sail Away
Mr. Roboto
Too Much Time On My Hands
Crystal Ball
Lady
The Best Of Times
Show Me The Way
Renegade
Blue Collar Man
Mademoiselle

These are all (in my book) rock and pop-rock classics

Désolé @MusicalBox, mais je suis obligé de voler au secours de @Jonray. Styx était peu connu en Europe, en France au moins, à la différence de Foreigner ou des Eagles, avec qui ils ont travaillé.
Par contre, je viens de lire qu’ils étaient très connus au Québec. Je n’ai pas le souvenir d’avoir entendu une seule de leurs chansons. Est-ce grave ?

Sorry @MusicalBox, but I have to come to @Jonray’s rescue. Styx were little known in Europe, unlike Foreigner or the Eagles, with whom they worked.
On the other hand, I’ve just read that they were very well known in Quebec. I don’t remember hearing any of their songs. Is that a problem?

1 Like

Je vous crois sur parole, bien sur. Mais je dois avouer que cela me surprend un peu. J’adore Foreigner et les Eagles, mais je pense que la musique de Styx était meilleure. Plus variée, plus énergique et plus complexe.

I’ll take your word for it, of course. But I have to admit I’m a bit surprised. I love Foreigner and the Eagles, but I think Styx’s music was better. More varied, more energetic and more complex.

Grave? Non. Mais c’est un peu dommage.
A problem? No. But it’s unfortunate.

2 Likes

Grâce à vous, je répare immédiatement cette grave lacune musicale. J’ai mis en favori les Greatest Hits de Styx sur Deezer. :guitar::+1:
I’m immediately remedying this major musical deficiency. I’ve bookmarked Styx’s Greatest Hits on Deezer. :guitar::+1:

1 Like

Laissez-moi savoir si vous aimez ou pas, après quelques écoutes.

1 Like

Me too.

I had to consult my deep brain cells and they confirmed I had never heard of them. Situation now rectified…

2 Likes

I was actually humming the Styx song when I named the latest release “Never Say Never” (not joking)!

2 Likes

I thought you chose that name because of the James Bond movie, “Never say never again”.
After “Diamonds Are Forever”, Sean Connery said he would never play James Bond again. But he did.

But a Styx reference is a nice choice too :slight_smile:

This would be a great effect for social media and reels. Great job! Another trick to add to the arsenal

1 Like

Terrific! What have I been missing? Great singer!

1 Like