File dialogs not showing up in Flatpack 18.05.04 install

After discovering the new release I found both the Snap and Flatpack versions of Shotcut available in the Discover Software Center in KDE Neon. I prefer the Flatpack over Snap so I installed that. Shotcut reports version 18.05.04. I found right away that Open/Open File does not work for me. I was able to open the Dolphin file manager and drag & drop an existing project and add a file into the Playlist.

Also, while loading Shotcut it invites you to check for a newer version and reports 18.05.03 is available!

-=Ken=-

This morning I got an update for my Flatpack version of Shotcut. It now reports version 18.05.05. It still doesn’t produce a dialog box for Open File or Open MLT XML as Clip…
It still offers an upgrade to version 18.05.03

-=Ken=-

This feature is designed for the official builds. Flatpak build is its own beast.

Yeah, I don’t know why, and I do not know how to debug it or where to begin to look. Containerized snap and flatpak apps introduce problems. Desktop Linux… sigh. You know, I just don’t feel like dealing with their particular issues when I could be working on core shotcut code instead. I am very close to removing them from the downloads page and declaring them unofficial.

Hey Dan, thanks for the response. Many of us have been looking forward to the keyframes - and this problem is not a show stopper, just feedback. These alternate containers show great promise but they still have some problems. I don’t blame you if your drop them for now. Everyone has priorities and I think keyframes will keep us happy for quite some time. Thanks for your work!

Best to you,

-=Ken=-

What version of flatpak are running?

$ flatpak --version

This bug has been fix in version 0.11.4!

Hi Pete. Here is what I get in KDE Neon 5.12…

flatpack: command not found

The Flatpack version of Shotcut was offered in the Discovery Software Center - so I installed that. After the dialog with Dan I decided to install the portable version, like I had previously. Shotcut version now reports 18.05.08 and the file dialogs work as they should.

-=Ken=-

Read again! The command is spelled “flatpak” (without the “c”)!

I guess your version is outdated. I think the official Ubuntu flatpak PPA should work for you:

https://launchpad.net/~alexlarsson/+archive/ubuntu/flatpak

Dang! Why do computer geeks do that? I never noticed the lack of a “c.” Thanks for the update info. -=Ken=-