File corrupted, can't repair it

Shotcut Version: 21.03.21 (it tells me it’s the latest one)

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
(Please be specific and use the names as seen in Shotcut, preferably English. Include a screenshot or screen recording if you can. Also, you can attach logs from either View > Application Log or right-click a job and choose View Log.)

Tried to open my project from the recent projects dropdown as usual, and I get met with a “Shotcut noticed some problems in your project. Do you want Shotcut to try to repair it?” prompt. I click Yes, and it just says “Repairing the project failed”, and doesn’t do anything. If I go back and click No, the app just crashes.

Looking through the forum, no one else seems to have had this issue, I saw that I could open the MLT-XML file in text editor, so I did that, but couldn’t see a problem. Put it into an online XML verifier, and the website said it checks out okay. I looked in my video folder and noticed that there was a second mlt file with “-repaired” appended to it, but it was an empty file with 0 bytes.

I have been working on this project for multiple months and have a lot riding on this. My deadline is coming up and starting over is not an option. I could really use some assistance.

Latest version is 21.05.18
Most likely your version is not from Shotcut. I do not see that version listed in Shotcut’s github.

Here are the current & prior versions of Shotcut.

Sorry, it’s actually 20.03.21 my bad
Whenever i open the app it gives me a little box saying “You are running the latest version of Shotcut”

That is correct behavior now. I have switched the download page, update checker, and the Microsoft and Snap store versions back to v21.03.21 as the “recommended stable version” while we work on investigating the reported stability issues with the major changes in the 21.05 versions. When people click the download link in a blog post about version 21.05.01 or 21.05.21 they are taken to that version insteady so you can get what you are reading about and try to work with it.

This is why it say it could not be repaired. You can upload the non-empty XML here, and I will take a look at it, but of course I cannot guarantee anything. You should consider restoring a previous version from a backup. If you do not have a backup I encourage you to start doing that.

Jazz.mlt (178.5 KB)

Here’s the file. I haven’t been backing things up, but I’ll start looking into that as soon as I can

It is attempting repair because it was created with version 21.05.18, but now we have downgraded the snap version as previously mentioned.

title=“Shotcut version 21.05.18”

Here I manually repaired the project by replacing “<chain” with “<producer” (and closing tags), which is what the repair function was supposed to do. (There is a little more work required if you had used Time Remap.)
Jazz - Fixed.mlt (179.7 KB)

P.S. What is interesting is that I was able to able to open the Jazz - Repaired.mlt generated by version 21.03.21.

1 Like

Fixed, thanks!