Failure to save .mlt file is not reported by Shotcut 17.10.02

First of all, I want to say thanks to everyone involved with Shotcut. I just discovered it a couple of days ago, and so far it is working great.

I did discover what I believe is a bug this morning, it appears that if Shotcut fails to save a file due to a permissions issue, it does not report the failure, but instead pops up a status message that makes it appear that the save was successful.

I created a simple project in Shotcut 17.10.02 running on Ubuntu 16.04. The source clips were all in a folder on my NAS, and I saved the .mlt file in the same folder.

I was then able to open the project in Shotcut 17.10.02 running on Windows 10 and continue working with the project.

The problem occurred when I attempted to save the project using the Save button. Shotcut pops up a status message that says “Saved N:/shotcut/Tennessee/Tennessee.mlt”, but it doesn’t actually save the file because the Windows user doesn’t have write permission for that file on the NAS. So if I close and re-open the project, all of my changes are lost.

I was also able to duplicate the issue on the Linux version. I had accidentally run Shotcut as root, so when it saved the .mlt file, it was owned by root with 644 permissions. I was able to run Shotcut as my normal user, and again I could open the project, make changes, and when I click the Save button, I get a status message that says “Saved /NAS/shotcut/Tennessee/Tennessee.mlt” But if I look at the terminal window that I started it from, I see:

I/O error : Permission denied
I/O error : Permission denied
[Info ] MainWindow::showStatusMessage “Saved /NAS/shotcut/Tennessee/Tennessee.mlt”

I also did a test on my Windows 10 PC by saving a .mlt file to a local drive, then making it Read Only. I can then open that project in Shotcut, and when I attempt to save the project, I get no indication that the save failed.

Obviously I can work around the issue by making sure I have appropriate permissions, but it would be nice if Shotcut reported the I/O error rather than indicating that the project was saved.

Thanks,
Russ