"Failed to open"

Just started using Shotcut, seems to work fine except half of the videos I try to load — won’t, I just get the cryptic message, “failed to open”. I’ve tried to load them in different ways but still get the same result, very frustrating. The videos all load fine in Movie Maker, but Shotcut is such a better program. Anyone help?

All of us are probably going to need more information in order to help you…

Do you have MediaInfo or FFMpeg installed?

I’m sorry, I have no idea. All I can say is that I have downloaded a dozen or so videos from youtube using the same downloader, “4K”. Some open fine in Shotcut, but most won’t.

Could you tell us some of the basics? What operating system are you on, your Shotcut version, and where you downloaded it from?

I’m using Windows 10, Shotcut Ver 16.11.02, all videos downloaded from Youtube using 4K Video Downloader.

Hi, can you test 4K videos but from other source like http://4ksamples.com/ ? It would be good to discard if the problem could be something related with the 4k Video Downloader.

In addition to the above replies, I would suggest you familiarize yourself with FFMpeg. Ideally, you could post better information with ffprobe on the files in question. It truly is not as easy as saying, some 4k videos work and some dont…

Another program might be useful to you called MediaInfo. This program will give you more insight about the video and the difference between ones that work, and ones that don’t by actually seeing the contents of the file and its properties.

I wish I could be more help, but you got to help me help you…

I just encountered the error as well. The error seems to be of the can’t-see-tree-because-of-forest-blindness type. :smiley:

Change your filename to something without spaces. If it still doesn’t work, make sure all folders from C:\ to \yourfolder\ don’t contain spaces.

Video workaround guide:

i have been having the same issue but none of the suggestions have really worked
PLEASE HELP i’ve put so much time and effort just to get “failed to open”