'failed to open'.mlt file

Was really enjoying the software but a couple of days ago when re-starting my laptop found out that my .mlt file as failing to open. Despite deleting and re-installing the latest version (19.01.27) the issue has not changed and I have lost hours worth of editing. I read through a thread on the website where people seemed to have a similar kind of problem and someone suggested opening the file in notepad which I was unable to do. I’d really appreciate any support anyone could give.
Thanks

Post your mlt. Someone might be able yo fix it.

yeah someone help i’m having the same problem. i cant save videos and exit out of shotcut without them failing to open… so i have to do it all at once which is really annoying when i have to go somewhere or if i have to go to bed. It’s really hard to make vids for youtube with this bug. PLEASE HELP.

Attach the .mlt file or no one can help you.

Hey… i have the same issue and would be very happy if anyone can have a look at my mlt file… thx in advanceedit27.mlt (117.8 KB)

Unfortunately your project cannot be fixed.
This does not happen often but sometimes the project becomes corrupted.
See this thread. Failed to Open in Shotcut

thanks for the fast answer although its bad news…

There was a change in v19.02.28 to try to prevent this problem, but we do not know if it is foolproof because we have not found a reliable way to trigger the problem. It would be nice to know what version you were using @Noah_Hurwitz. There is still one thing to do, which is a post-save validation before replacing the old file. That did not make it into the latest version, but it will be in the next.

try to restore the previous version of the mlt file

Hi
I’ve seen some threads to resolve the ‘Failed to open C:…mlt’ bug that some users have experienced but have not grasped how to edit the mlt file itself (if this is still a possible solution with my version 17.12.03).
I’ve spent a lot of hours editing this music video and was almost complete and so would be sickened to have to start again!!!
If anybody has any suggestions or advice, it would be hugely appreciated. The mlt file is attached.Richie Foley - Tune - DAVID EDIT 26052019.mlt (53.8 KB)

Your MLT file is full of NUL bytes making it useless and unrecoverable. Sorry about that, but you are using a really old version. There are bug fixes in newer versions to avoid the bug that leads to this problem.

@shotcut - thanks so much for the fast reply. Bummer - my own fault for not keeping up to date I guess. A lesson for all! Will download new version and hopefully won’t happen again.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.