Failed to export to VP9

Hey I’m new here, haven’t had any luck finding a solution to this issue. Just last night I did some test with different codecs and managed to render a video to VP9 just fine. Today I try the same thing (but with a different video project) and get an error every time I try. I’ll paste in my log file at the bottom of this. Anyone know what the solution is?

More info—

Windows 10 64 bit
Shotcut 19.12.31
AMD Ryzen 5 2600

The video files I’m working with are mp4’s with variable frame rates created with Shadowplay. I’ve used them countless times before without issue. I usually export to H.264 but want to do some WebM VP9 exports with the dual pass option (It currently doesn’t work single or double tonight)

Log file below------

plugin_mgr_get_object_file_plugins: error opening shared object file ‘C:\Program Files\Shotcut\lib\ladspa/AUTHORS’: “C:\Program Files\Shotcut\lib\ladspa\AUTHORS”: The specified module could not be found.

plugin_mgr_get_object_file_plugins: error opening shared object file ‘C:\Program Files\Shotcut\lib\ladspa/COPYING’: “C:\Program Files\Shotcut\lib\ladspa\COPYING”: The specified module could not be found.

plugin_mgr_get_object_file_plugins: error opening shared object file ‘C:\Program Files\Shotcut\lib\ladspa/readme.txt’: “C:\Program Files\Shotcut\lib\ladspa\readme.txt”:

[libvpx-vp9 @ 0000000009663500] v1.8.2-23-g50d1a4a

[libvpx-vp9 @ 0000000009663500] --prefix=/root/shotcut/shotcut/Shotcut --enable-vp8 --enable-postproc --enable-multithread --enable-runtime-cpu-detect --disable-install-docs --disable-debug-libs --disable-examples --disable-unit-tests --extra-cflags=-std=c99 --target=x86_64-win64-gcc

[libvpx-vp9 @ 0000000009663500] Failed to initialize encoder: Invalid parameter

[libvpx-vp9 @ 0000000009663500] Additional information: g_timebase.den out of range [1…1000000000]

[AVIOContext @ 00000000096a3f00] Statistics: 0 seeks, 0 writeouts

Failed with exit code 1

This is the problem. g_timebase.den refers to the frame rate denominator. One of the variable frame rate source videos appear to be out of range this time. There is a “Convert to Edit Friendly” option in the clip Properties panel that will let you convert these files to constant frame rate.

One other option is to open the Export > Advanced panel and make sure the output frame rate is a standard value, rather than it defaulting to an insane value from the source files.

1 Like

I am not certain this is directly due to variable frame rate, but it is possible the VFR source video in conjunction with Automatic video mode in Shotcut resulted in a funky export frame rate that libvpx does not support. If this is the case, Convert to Edit-friendly may not help. However, setting a predictable Video Mode instead of Automatic may.

1 Like

Thanks. I just changed it to 60 FPS. It looked like it was working as it didn’t give me an error message but I have had this 11 minute video taking over 4 hours encoding by now so I just gave up on it. (It didn’t freeze, as the % was going up still).

But yeah, thanks again. I might test it out again with a tiny video in the future just to make sure it works.

It’s probably working then. VP9 is just very very slow as far as encoders go, especially at 60fps. You could cut the time in half if 30fps were sufficient for you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.