Fade in/out video filters

Running Shotcut 22.10.25 on a windows 10 machine. Always found the Fade in/out video filters to work reliably. Recently, however, often (though not always) these filters come up with the ‘adjust opacity rather than fade…’ checkbox checked. As a result, no fade. Is there a way to set the box to unchecked so it isn’t so random?

Of less import - what is the adjust opacity function supposed to do? It doesn’t seem to do anything now except do away with the fade.

Thanks,
r.

I’m also slightly annoyed by this behaviour but it’s not random: the checkbox is checked by default if the current video is on track that is not the lowest one.

for example here V2 will have it checked but V1 is unchecked:
the default result is a mix of purple and red:
but if i uncheck the box on V2, it would just turn from purple to black

What it basically does is if you have 2 videos on top of each other and you enable fade-out on the one on the top, it would reveal the one on the bottom instead of turning the screen black.

Thank you - yes what I took for random was having 2 clips stacked on top of one another. My preference was to have the clip I was interested in on top and I had blacked out the clip on the bottom - was just using that track for temporary storage while I rearranged thins; or so I thought. I’ll give it a try the other way around.
r.

Imho fade opacity in most situations is more suitable than just fade to black :wink:
When i have a text on top i want to fade it in or out slowly, so this means ‘fade opacity’ - i don’t want the text to fade to black. The same is true for most normal transition of clips next to each other which SC does intuitively right - it fades the opacity of one clip over the other.
So in general ‘fade opacity’ would be the best choise as Default i guess.

1 Like

True, but in my case I almost never overlay stuff on top each other, I’m more of a linear timeline and different tracks are used to group clips with text directly on the clip. I do understand the reason just never actually use it this way.

Thank you Rilos - I haven’t yet used text overlays - now I see the purpose of fade opacity. I often use fade out/fade in as a transition to make the point that the two clips are not related to one another - for instance, next scene.

r.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.