Extending a split clip twice by dragging, resets it to the original split position

This seems like a bug, but maybe I am not understanding something?

Example:

• I split my original clip in 2 pieces.
  • I realize the second clip has an issue, whatever it may be.
  • Because I can’t rejoin these clips, I delete the second clip, and start dragging the first clip to the right.
  • When I click on the end of the first clip, to make a minute adjustment by dragging, it resets the first clip to it’s original split position.

The only way to solve the problem is take the original source and start doing splits again. This is OK for a small project, but for a huge project where you need to fix or make precise edits, it would be a nightmare.

Why? Did you trim after splitting? If yes, you did not include that step. If no, then you can right click the first clip and choose Rejoin With Next Clip.

When I click on the end of the first clip, to make a minute adjustment by dragging, it resets the first clip to it’s original split position.

I do not reproduce it, or this step may be a little confusing when you wrote “first clip” twice. I interpret that as the same clip.
Are you sure you provided correct steps? Follow your own steps again to see if you can reproduce it or skipped something.
Are you having a problem with snapping, or do you need to zoom in on the timeline more?

This bug report is invalid and incomplete because you did not specify your OS and Shotcut version.

Hi Dan,

I think I trimmed after splitting. I also added a text filter.

I just created a new project just to make sure I could reproduce the issue

• I have snap off and ripple off.
  • I am zoomed out enough in the timeline.
  • I am using Windows 10 and the current version of Shotcut 22.12.21

Here is a video:

The problem you show and I reproduce is the combination of Settings > Timeline > Center the Playhead is on and trimming the end of a clip at the end of the timeline. Did you know you have center the playhead turned on? If you want to leave it on, a workaround is to place a dummy clip such as color clip at the end of the timeline but with a gap to give working room.

That seemed to be the issue after doing some tests. I never knew that setting existed, so it must have always been on by default. Is it recommended to turn this off when doing edits?

It is not on by default, but it has a shortcut that may be similar to other shortcuts based on the P key. I am going to change this to unsolved since I want to track the real bug fix, which is this bad interaction.

I see. I might have activated it by accident.

Appreciate the response and all your hard work on the project.