Export / Problems with the h264 codec (maybe)

Hi at all,

my name is Christian and I’ve started working with shotcut a few days ago. I have the following problem: If I export to a videofile, which contains the h264 codec, my mediaplayer (VLC or Celluloid) shows a black screen and I only hear sound.

I’ve changed from win10 to linux mint for my private “computer work”. The video codecs, which you have to activate manually during installation of linux mint are installed. I have exported the same video with different codecs and have only problems when the h264 is included.

I give you some information of my environment:

Linux Mint Debian Edition, Kernel: 4.19.0-8-amd64, Ryzen 9 3900X, GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER

Maybe someone of this community have had the same problem…

And I have a last question: For my last short film I have used a lot GoPro Hero footage in 4K. Is it regular, that the videos are jerking at playback? I think my pc should have enought power…

Thanks a lot for your help and thumbs up for this absolutely fantastic software?

Christian

PS Please excuse my bad English. My last English lesson is years ago :slight_smile:

That sounds like Export > Hardware encoder > Configure. If you do not manually select (or if already did, go in there and turn them all off), when you click the checkbox to enable Shotcut will automatically detect what works on your system. On Linux, VAAPI hardware encoding is much less reliable that other OS in our binary builds due to how its versioning works. You repeatedly stated “h264” without being specific which, but there are a few. Where did you get Shotcut package and what kind is it (.deb, snap, AppImage, portable). You should turn off hardware encoder and use libx264 (supplied) if it does not work for you.

I have used a lot GoPro Hero footage in 4K. Is it regular, that the videos are jerking at playback? I think my pc should have enought power…

My Linux PC can play GoPro 4K 29.97 fps in Shotcut without dropping frames, and my Windows 10 PC can play 4K 60 fps in Shotcut without dropping frames. Of course, any time it needs to do anything involving processing (filters, transitions, multi-track blending), it drops video frames and gets jerky, which is normal and expected at this time.

Thank you for yout help!

when you click the checkbox to enable Shotcut will automatically detect what works on your system

I have done this now. Result: nothing found

Is it a big speed difference between software and hardware encoding?

I have installed shotcut by the mint packet manager. Should I do it different?

Because of the jerking playbacks: I’ve made a lot of GoPro Files (~ 25) and added them all to the playlist. I started htop in a terminal after I saw the jerking videos. 28 GB of my 31,2 GB RAM were used. Is it a better way to add only the videos, which are really used for the project? Is it possible, that the Software loads all videos to RAM, also which are not used?

I’ve tested it by using software endcoding: Now I have sound and video! Thank you! I have also ordered another 32 GB RAM. I think this couldn’t be a mistake :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.