Export file - can I export a section of a project?

Export file - can I export just a section of a project or does it have to be the entire timeline? Many thanks! Jon

i’ve had good luck by selecting a desired portion of the video from the preview pane by moving the playhead, or letting it play and hitting the spacebar to pause…then using the arrow keys to place the playhead precisely where i want it…then pressing i to set the beginning of my desired section…the hitting spacebar again to resume play…pausing again and using the arrow keys as before. once i’ve reached the end of my intended selection, i use the arrow keys as before for a little precision…and then press o to set the end of my selection…go to the playlist and click the plus symbol, (+), and your selection will show up in the play list…click that then move to the timeline and click the plus symbol there and your selection will now appear on the timeline…from there, (after making any other desired edits of course), click the export tab, make sure your profile is the way you want it, (screen resolution, ect.), click export and save the resulting mp4 to the folder of your choosing…easy peasy. in another approach, you can do pretty much the same thing directly from the timeline.

Thanks very much, theNotSoLoneWanderer, I really appreciate your answer and your time. Many useful tips here.I find Shotcut so intuitive!! In addition to these editing tips I also find the JKL keys come in useful too.
My main point of the question though (apologies if didn’t make it too clear…) was whether it was possible to select a portion of the timeline and export just that section.
In Cubase (music editing program) you have left and right locators which allow you to define a global section of a project; when you export the audio (it’s called audio mixdown) only the section of the project between the locators gets exported. Just wondered if there was anything like that in Shotcut. Thanks!

so far the only audio editing i’ve been able to pull off in Shotcut has been limited to appending the desired audio file to an audio track…selecting the audio track then moving the playhead to the desired place on the timeline, (for example getting rid of and unwanted portion of silence in an audio track), and with the audio track still selected…either pressing s or clicking the split icon and removing the unwanted portion by right clicking and selecting, “remove”, from the sub menu. for the most part all of my audio editing is done in Audacity, and when i’m happy there, then i open the .mp3, (or .wav), in shotcut and go from there. i’m finding .mp3s are a little easier on the program, (unfortunately the audio quality isn’t as good with an .mp3), as .wavs are kinda big, (but the quality is GREAT).
i’ve never heard of Cubase… enlighten me…how would it compare to Audacity, (Audacity is actually a pretty burly audio editor…tons of features and just about all of them are relevant to even the casual user…no i’m not a sponsor…just a fan)?
by the way…my apologies for taking seventeen days to respond…but i’ve been editing video as it were c")

ah…studio program…i’m doing something similar using my soundcard with it’s daughter card coming straight out of my mixer and doing my mixdowns with Audacity…but nice software…thanks for mentioning it.

Can you elaborate on that? I can’t figure out how to make that happen unless I simply delete the remainder of the video clip, which I do not want to do.

you would first need to make a cut at the beginning and the end of the desired portion of your video…then click that portion to highlight it…going to the export tab there is an option to export the selection…the other option would be to make the cuts as before…right click the portions preceding and following your cuts and selecting remove from the sub menu and export as you normally would. you can safely exit the program after exporting the selection without damaging your original source video by clicking the don’t save option when the dialog comes up or by renaming the file when the saving as you would with any program…
hope this helps

Never worked for me, it always exports the entire timeline no matter what you highlight and then select from the export panel’s ‘From’ dropdown.

I’ve only actually done it twice a couple of versions ago… Well, three times if you count the first time I did it accidentally… It actually worked…I favor cutting and removing before exporting because it’s a little more expedient… But that’s me

Still no way to export only part of the video, like in Premiere?

Not “Like in Premiere”. But the Shotcut way to do it is:

1. Click Save.
  2. Open another Shotcut instance (or use the same one, whatever you prefer).
  3. File->Open MLT XML as Clip
  4. Drag the start and end points in the Player pane to the part you want to export
  5. export as normal

Thank you Brian!

You can, but it’s a multi-step process. With your video in the Timeline:

1. Set Playhead at start of target segment and press letter [i] to set in-point.
    Everything before this point will disappear from Timeline.
  2. Set Playhead at end of target segment and press letter [o] to set out-point.
    Everything after this point will disappear from Timeline.
  3. Export from Timeline.
  4. Press the “undo” arrow (or Ctrl-Z) twice.
    This will restore your timeline to its original condition.

(Cutting the Timeline and trying to export the selection does not work. The entire Timeline will be exported.)
I just tried all of the above and got the results described.

Thanks so much Brian! your method works perfectly for setups like mine!

To anyone reading this thread: Brian’s comment best answers the question, because it works with segments you have already finished editing. If I take 10 minutes of edited video, with lots of splices and cuts, and added music, out of a 30 minute video Brian’s method works. The i and o method only appears to work if you’re dealing with a longer unedited segment, because i and o only apply to the highlighted video sections.

Maybe I’m mistaken and just missed something, but I hope this helps anyone new looking for answers like I have been

In addition to @brian’s correct reply, since then Shotcut has in its Timeline menu: Copy Timeline to Source that allows you to do this without closing the current project.

The I and O keyboard shortcuts work in both the Source player and the Timeline (when the player’s Project tab is active). So, you can still use I/O in the Source player after using either File > Open MLT XML as Clip… or Timeline > menu > Copy Timeline to Source. They are keyboard shortcut alternatives to dragging something with the mouse in either place.

Having difficulty following the text instructions.
Are there any visuals available?A youtube video maybe?
TIA everyone.

Hey I just wanted to share what I’m doing, in case there’s anyone else that found the free version of DaVinci Resolve to be doing all sorts of mischief to my audio and video and went back to shotcut to find a way to easily split up a huge audio clip and separate video clips to send to a singer for her audition tape. So I have a 45 minute segment of audio and video. Here’s what I did to just make it as easy as possible for me:

1. Go through all the video clips as they’re imported in the “playlist”. Make snippets of each by adjusting the ends and then putting the clip OF THAT CLIP back into the playlist. Put it at the end so you remember what order you’ll be doing this in.
  2. Import your audio into the playlist. make clips of the main audio track and put each clip back into the playlist, ideally following its corresponding video segment.
  3. Now drag from the playlist to the timeline each corresponding video and audio clip, bring it on to the operating table (the timeline) do your magic, snip, normalize, whuteva, and export.

If you’re OCD like me, you can remove the original files you put into the playlist bin, as well as the previous files you’ve since exported by clicking on them and doing Shift-X. So a little work from the get go with finding clips of your clips and putting them in the playlist, but once you perfect it, you drag 'em on in and export it in quick succession. It’s all downhill on the roller coaster after that initial prep work.