Experience with shotcut

Hello everyone,

First, thanks to all developers for making the Shotcut free software and available for GNU/Linux (in binary form).
It is fairly easy to use, and very stable (portable version 19.01.27) on Ubuntu Studio 16.04.

So, I’ve made music video with Shotcut (I’ve posted link in „Made with Shotcut“ section) and during that time a came across few shortcomings.
Here are my suggestions for improvement (some of them are on developers „to do“ list, but I’ve listed them anyway):

• export range – select a range in timeline for export
  • select all clips in tiimeline, multiple selection in timeline for moving
  • markers – possibly on M keyboard shortcut, snap to markers
  • keyframe view: pressing delete deletes entire clip not selected keyframe, that was unexpected
  • video filters are not working on the extended parts of the clip – if clip is extended after adding filters some of them don’t work on it (chroma key, color grade)
  • blend modes on clip basis (not just on tracks)
  • thin horizontal line across clips in timeline – when thumbnails and waveform are off there is some thin horizontal line left on the clip. It is confusing for me. It reminds me on rubber band for keyframes. Maybe remove it.
  • always changeing the timeline view at playhead position after some action – this was disrupting
  • global on/off switch for filters – turning all fitlers on/off for: clip, track, timeline
  • open clip from timeline in source view to see in/out points – I don’t know if this is already possible, didn’t find way to do it.
  • native size of the video for scale, size and position filters – my project was 720p. I had 1080p and 4K source material. When I used scale or size and position filters it seams to me that video was scaled to project size, and then scaled again to value in filters. I couldn’t get native size of the video. Scaling up produced pixelated picture. I could not take advantage of larger source video for panning, cropping.
  • deselecting clip after changing its properties – e.g. If I disable audio for a clip in properties it gets deselected, so I have to select it again to continue work on it.

Overall Shotcut was very usable, and easy to work with. It has some new and strange concepts for me, but that was not an issue. Working in timeline is as expected.
I guess, for GNU/Linux, it is best (free software) choice at the moment.

Sorry for the long post.
Thanks again.

TImeline > menu > Copy Timeline to Source > mark in/out > Export

open clip from timeline in source view to see in/out points

Edit > Copy (also on clip context menu, timeline toolbar, and shortcuts).

When I used scale or size and position filters it seams to me that video was scaled to project size, and then scaled again to value in filters.

No, it is not. It scaled from the source res, but it is expressed/adjusted in project res. That will not change. It does take advantage of higher source res, and that is automatic and builtin without having to do anything. You were deceived by something.

Most other things are known Suggestions or on the Road Map. Thanks for the feedback.