EXIF info in Shotcut

In Shotcut, where can I find the data regarding shutter speed, aperture value and ISO? I can see the frame rate and resolution in the properties tab, but I’m not sure where to find the rest of the information I need. Thanks in advance.

not available

1 Like

Aight, thanks for letting me know. I’ll just take better notes next time.

Genuine question because I’m always curious about people’s workflows… How would EXIF data being visible in Shotcut contribute to editing a video?

I’ve seen your photography work on other forums (great photos!) and I recall that you used digiKam for a time. What does EXIF in Shotcut provide that you don’t already have from digiKam? I’m guessing a shortcut to balance exposure across a series of images?

Thinking out loud now that I’m typing… what might be a cool feature is #iso# and #aperture# and similar tags in the Text filters to auto-populate text boxes over images, to show what settings were used when doing a lens review video or something.

2 Likes

That is on the mental road map because I have thought about it in the context of media organization features, MLT already integrates libexif in the image readers for orientation, and the simple text filter can already substitute metadata from sources.

I agree this would be cool. A few months ago I made a timelapse in shotcut and was thinking this exact same thing (with exposure/iso/date_taken from the exif from each image from the sequence - I ended up just hacking together a rough date and time with some other filters).

First of all, thanks for the compliment on my photographic work. It’s nice to know that someone out there is looking at it, lol. And your question is very valid. When I’m shooting video, I try to make sure that my shutter speed is set to one half the reciprocal of my frame rate (24fps = 1/48 sec.) I had a clip of some moving water that looked a little choppy, and was just wondering if I had made a mistake with the shutter speed or not. No matter; I ended up not using the clip.

That makes sense. digiKam or MediaInfo or ffprobe could be temporary workarounds, but I can see value inside Shotcut too.

As for choppy motion, maybe your shutter speed was correct but it’s just the nature of the shot that causes the problem. Water usually has extremely linear (consistent) motion, which means any frame doubling or dropping would be extremely apparent, especially if the water occupies most of the screen. Perhaps the video playback engine is duplicating every fourth frame to get 24fps footage up to the 60Hz monitor refresh rate, causing the appearance of stutter even though the source footage is perfect.

My two usual workarounds are:

1. Shoot at 30fps to match the monitor refresh rate when targeting online media, but leave the shutter speed at 1/48 or 1/50 to retain the same motion blur as 24fps. The result is a similar overall feel, but less choppy in high-action or linear motion sequences. And it plays without stutter on 60Hz screens.

2. If 24fps is required by the project specs, then I might use a slower shutter speed to hide more motion in the motion blur. It makes the stutter more difficult to spot when there are fewer sharp details to correlate between frames.

You probably knew all that. I’m just putting it out there for anyone else reading along that shoots 24fps. As you can tell, I am a frequent violator of the 180-Degree Shutter Angle Rule. :grin:

2 Likes

All excellent points. I use dK all the time and hadn’t thought to use it for video. It’s kind of an obvious choice for that purpose, though. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ll try 30fps while keeping the same shutter speed. In fact, I’m at that same body of water tomorrow and will see what I can do with it. The feedback is well appreciated; thank you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.