Encoding a video takes +-90% of processor

Hello,

I am encoding a video with Shotcut right now. As my PC’s ventilator is blowing like a tornado, i looked in Task Manager, and i found out that “qmelt” (I don’t know what it is but I know it has something to do with Shotcut and video encoding) is using more than 90% of my processor. (-> screenshot)
I find it strange that my processor is overwhelmed by a video encoding. Maybe I’m wrong and it is normal, so that’s why I write this post on Shotcut forum. I need to know if it is normal, or if there’s something wrong.

The video i’m encoding takes 5 minuts and is a gameplay recorded with OBS Studio, with the following settings: 60 fps, video output (debit): 3000, encoder: NVENC, audio output: 192, recording format: flv. High quality. 1920x1080.

My PC properties: it’s an ACER Aspire VN7-592G, x64, with Windows 10. The processor is Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU.

I hope that I only alarmed myself on a minor detail :slight_smile:
ty for answers

Hi, using the maximum power of the CPU to render the video it’s what is supposed to happen. If you have a multicore CPU, which you have, all CPU cores will be at their max power rendering your video and this is a good thing, less time needed for exporting the video. All other programs will run fine but maybe a little slower than usual.

Hey there,

i’am looking at the exact other side.

My 3xHHD Raid 0 supports up to 300MB/s reading, and Shotcut is using only 3-5% of it. For example i’ve copied a file to show the performance by twice reading on the disk ~ 120 MB/s. The CPU usage is bad i think. I don’t know where the problem is.

Aktually i am transcoding a proxy file form 1920x1080 x264vfw H264 50000 kbit/s to a 640x360 1000 kbit/s Proxy file.
And it takes a long time … i like to use 100% of my CPU Power, by the way the automatic overclock to 4,7Ghz doesn’t even gets activated by these low usage … boring…

any idea?