Editing videos with different resolutions and frame rates

Hello, I am a beginning user of Shotcut and had a question regarding the video mode.

I am putting together a lengthy video (a virtual piano recital featuring 20+ students) combining several different videos taken by multiple people with different resolutions and frame rates. When creating a new project and setting the video mode, which resolution and frame rate should I choose? The resolutions range from 720p to 1200p and the frame rates range from 29 to 60.

Also, I am creating the video to be shared via Youtube premiere. Should I just use the Youtube preset or adjust the export settings? Thanks in advanced!

Click the Arrows to get more Information

1. Talking about the resolution, you could use 1920x1080, 1280x720, or the resolution that your videos have in the majority.
Retaining most video quality in YouTube

If you export a video in 4K then YouTube will use better processing and codecs to retain the most quality even if the video was 720p and exported in 4K.

1. Talking about the framerate, you would choose the framerate in most of your videos or the framerate that is the average of all your videos.
Choosing right framerate

Framerate has a very big impact on the speed of your videos, sometimes it is very helpful for advanced users, but sometimes beginner users have big problems because of wrong framerates. For example, if you have a 240fps video and export it in 24fps then it will make the video 10 times slower, and if you have a 30fps video and export in 60fps, it will make your video 2 times faster. So you need to choose the average framerate of all of your videos or the framerate that is in majority.

Correction:- This only happens if the user changes Properties > Speed to be 0.1x speed. Otherwise, if a user drops 240fps video on a 24fps timeline, Shotcut will throw away 216 frames per second and only display 24 of the 240 (every tenth frame) to keep the pace of time constant. The same thing happens if a 240fps timeline is exported as 24fps. There will not be any perceived slowdown. This is called the “frame dropping” mode and it explains why video has stutter or judder when people mix up frame rates… a bunch of motion (seen in extra frames) got thrown away or duplicated depending on the type of mismatch.

1. You could choose the YouTube preset if it gives you good results, but I advise you to set all the settings yourself to get the best results.
Getting the best quality

Choosing 4K will give you better processing to retain more quality in YouTube, choose the quality percentage lower than 68% because the human eye can’t see higher quality than 68% most of the time.

Hope this helps you😄.
2 Likes

videos from many simple devices/smartphones e.g. can also have variable frame rates (vfr) and have to be converted to fixed fr in SC to really work and be editable.
Try to find out the video quality from each clip and try to combine the best ones which are more or less compbatible. I would aim at best YT-quality but not overdue the resolution as most people would view in best case in full hd, 1920x1080 resolution. Also 720p would do in most cases.
If you combine different FR you can end up with flickering in fast motions. If its a piano concert its probably not very likely unless there are great camera movements. You can simply cut out these scenes if necessary or replace the video by a picture e.g. - let the audio run without interruption.
I would aim at a FR of 30 fps - that fits great to computer monitors which mostly run at 60 Hz (25 or 50 fps results in flickering at 60Hz monitors).

2 Likes

Thank you for the replys. Most of the videos are taken with smartphones on various phones and settings.

To give you a better idea, this is very much like what I am trying to make.

I’m assuming the videos in that video are also taken with smartphones with different settings, but it seems pretty good to me. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to edit their videos when flickering happens. They have to be presented as a whole without editing. I want to make sure I maintain a good video quality with unaltered speed of the video. Having a video playing slower or faster due to frame rate issue wouldn’t be good.

1 Like

Good write-up. I would only change one thing:

This only happens if the user changes Properties > Speed to be 0.1x speed. Otherwise, if a user drops 240fps video on a 24fps timeline, Shotcut will throw away 216 frames per second and only display 24 of the 240 (every tenth frame) in order to keep the pace of time constant. Same thing happens if a 240fps timeline is exported as 24fps. There will not be any perceived slowdown. This is called the “frame dropping” mode and it explains why video has stutter or judder when people mix up frame rates… a bunch of motion (seen in extra frames) got thrown away or duplicated depending on the type of mismatch.

2 Likes

Okay, that’s exactly what I needed to know. It’s good to know that although the quality might reduce slightly due to the “frame dropping”, at least the videos will play at or very close to their true speed and the adjustments will happen automatically. I guess I will set it at 1080p and 30fps, since those are the most frequent settings. Thank you for the reply!

Thank you for the reply! It’s a great help!

Thank you for the reply and the helpful suggestions!

Thanks, to correct me up. I didn’t know that shotcut removes 216 frames, as I have seen Vegas Pro using 24 frames of the video and making it slower.

Now the post is a wiki, Anybody could edit it if it is not same in the future.

Blender will do the same thing as Vegas… it uses every frame of the input video even if that would cause a time drift with a timeline that’s in a different frame rate. It’s incredibly annoying to documentary filmmakers that receive footage in a variety of formats, because all clips must be pre-processed to the same frame rate before importing into Blender/Vegas, which can cause a generation of loss before even getting started. I love that Shotcut does the rate change automatically.

For this I am very sad as shotcut is not giving me what I am familiar with.
Do you know the way to get this type of frame handling that I want?

What is it you’re trying to do? There is the standard “select clip > Properties panel > Speed = 0.1x” if a clip needs to be 10x slower. Usually, the common editing scenario is to keep time constant, so I’m curious what process you’re doing that Shotcut’s default behavior is inconvenient.

I was just not changing the speed as you said because I forgot that :slight_smile: . But now It is working Fine.

Thanks Austin :+1:!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.