Editing high quality intermediate files (10 bit Prores or Canopus HQX)

I’m just starting to learn Shotcut, and would like to make sure I understand its limitations ahead of time.

I have digitized some Super 8 films, and they are encoded with the Grass Valley/Canopus HQX, 10 bit 4:2:2 codec. I’m applying quite a few filters (including some outside of Shotcut), and would like to maintain the highest possible quality along the way. I know that Shotcut cannot encode using the Canopus HQX codec, so I will probably use Prores or DNxHD.

I read in an old post on this forum, though, that Shotcut is limited to 8 bit only, so there would be no point in using 10 bit codecs. But I did not find any definitive answer elsewhere

Is Shotcut really limited to 8 bit, or is there a way to work in 10 bit space?

Thanks in advance

Yes, it’s only 8 bit. Dan explains why in this interview here.

Yes, Shotcut’s CPU filters are 8-bit only, but most filters operate in full range RGB. The GPU filters and track compositing operate in 16-bit float per color component; however, it must be eventually rendered to some 8-bit image format before encoding. You can encode in 10-bit by adding in the Export Other tab:

mlt_image_format=rgb24
pix_fmt=yuv422p10le

(assuming the code you choose supports that pix_fmt). It is not ideal, but telling you how to get best results using Shotcut.

Somehow I had missed your answers until now. Thanks so much for the detailed answer and the link to the interview!

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.