Editing basics (ripple, multiripple)

Hi all,

seems i have some basic problems with editing.
As i understand it the “ripple”-option means the selected track is looked at as one piece, so when i cut a part out, all other parts on the right will be adjusted as one - is that right? Parts left of the cut are not effected.
When i select “Multi ripple” this behavior should effect all tracks (video + audio tracks) together, right?
It doesn’t seem to work for me. When i cut the video and audio track, and cut out a piece of video the audio does not follow. How do i combine video and audio as one track? And how do i properly work with multiripple or single ripple?
I used these features in other video editing (Magix Video de luxe) but the behavior was different.
What am i doing wrong here?

Thanks!

As i see from an other discussion there seems to be no direct way to attach an audio clip to a video clip in the timeline. You have to option to “detach audio” but not to attach it back to the video - should be possible? The only way seems to export video and audio together - but this is time consuming and mostly lossy. I just want to fix the audio to the video clip in the timeline to make sure i always edit them together.
Any ideas?

Doe the advice in this thread help?

1 Like

That is exactly my question :slight_smile: I hope, there is an easy way to do just that, but i dont see one for now…

Ripple is mentioned in this documentation page: Glossary / Terminology

It works for me, but perhaps you are using terminology loosely. Cut is something very specific because there is a UI action with that label. Lift and Split do not ripple; so there is nothing to affect on another track.

You have to option to “detach audio” but not to attach it back to the video - should be possible?

Simply remove the audio clip, and on the video clip choose Properties > Audio > Track. In case you had filters on the audio clip, you can copy and paste them to the video clip.

With the first part you are right, i meant “split at playhead” (S) and want to use it simultanously on all (or the selected) tracks/clips. This is not posssible? Lets say i have video and audio on separate tracks and want to split them together at the same position. I have to do this twice (select - split - and again - select split)?

With the audio attach part i am not sure if i understand you right. I want to combine video and audio on one single track - that does not seem to work. Or at least combine them, so that they can be split in one action. On the video clip it seems i cannot change the audio track (it shows one or none - i cant change to another audio track).

Edit: i’ve overseen the link in Elusien’s post. According to that the “linking together” of clips on/ or of different tracks does not work. And you cant combine video and audio on different tracks together as one - is that right? But there are workarounds to split them at the same place (but a bit tedious).

No, but it is easy to split other tracks at the same position using keyboard shortcuts. Also, if you are using Ripple All Tracks, you do not necessarily need to split across all tracks when the next operation that involves ripple may do that for you automatically as part of the ripple effect.

I want to combine video and audio on one single track

That only works for audio and video from the same file.

Or at least combine them

Shotcut does not yet have groups of clips.

On the video clip it seems i cannot change the audio track

When you detach the audio it simply changes the audio track of the video clip to None. To reattach, you simply change that back to a valid audio track.

But there are workarounds to split them at the same place (but a bit tedious).

Up or Down followed by S is not nearly as tedious as writing and debugging new code or repeating myself. Everything I said above has been mentioned at least a few times in this forum and on social media.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.