Easier working with source player

I’m a newbee to shotcut and one thing is confusing me, the working with the playlist, the source tab and the project tab.
So my suggestion is the following:

1. Playlist (no changes necessary)
  • double click on an item in the playlist opens the item in source player
  • editings (ex. in-/ out-points) are saved/synchronized to the playlist item
  1. Timeline (changes necessary)
  • double click on an item on the timeline opens the item in source player
  • editings (ex. in-/ out-points) are saved/synchronized to the timeline item

The functionality in point 2) can be made in the moment with some steps, but the same working on playlist an timeline would be very good and impressive for new shotcut users.

Everyone is a newbee at the beginning. You just need more time.
The Playlist is your ‘Media Bin’.
You can mark In and Out point to a playlist item which is currently shown in the source viewer and ‘Add’ the marked clip as a new playlist item.

I recommend going through the video tutorials on this site and on YouTube, it can save much frustration and help flatten out the learning curve.
Have fun :slight_smile:

editings (ex. in-/ out-points) are saved/synchronized to the timeline item

You do not need to open a timeline clip in the Source player to adjust it. Not only can you trim using the drag handles but also the ‘I’, ‘O’, ‘shift+I’ and ‘shift+O’ keyboard shortcuts work in Timeline.
Today, double-clicking a timeline clip selects the clip and seeks to its starting frame. Copying it to the Source player, which also acts like a clipboard, is as simple as Edit > Copy, Copy toolbar button, or Ctrl+C.

Opening something in the Source player needs to be very deliberate because you might have some trimmed and filtered clip staged in there that you do not want to lose (and I do not like frequent modal dialogs impeding my workflow).

Thanks for the response. There is no frustration, some hours using have cleared something.

It was only an idea, I’ve got it from the “Videopad” from NCH Software, there is a timeline clip with single click every time opened in source player. The trimming with the mouse is in the source player of Videopad and Shotcut more precise. Videopad synchronizes all changes between source player and project (timeline) automatically.
But Shotcut has many more filters and the new Key frames function is very impressive. And I like the GUI.
Excuse me, users every time wants the best of all. I’m a software developer and I know how many time goes in software projects, also for little things.