Draw Mask

Simple Shape masking is far too inflexible to be useful in any situation.
So, I suggest Draw Mask. However, there’s two different iterations of this idea.

Simple Draw (Blue Lines)
Click a few times to indicate lines, create a full shape with no holes (ideally it automatically jumps from the first to last handle) and that’s your mask. Maybe a smoothing slider would be good.

Curved Draw (Orange (and grey) Lines)
This is a different one. You still define lines with points, but you can drag an extra handle we’ll call Curve Handle for the sake of it, and creating a bigger curve in the direction you drag it out. I have no idea what this is called but it’s similar to a specific tool in Inkscape, which if you’re using Shotcut, you probably already have installed.

Keyframes
I suppose you can just keyframe the position of the handles and get the mask from that.

Useful Image to Indicate What I Mean

2 Likes

Something similar was suggested a couple of days ago by someone else here, and I also think it would be a very nice addition to the mask filters collection.

I’m sorry, but I don’t agree with you though when you declare that Mask: Simple Shape is far too inflexible to be useful in any situation. To me, it is useful in many situations and I’d be disappointed if it was removed.

1 Like