Dragging an audio track as the first track creates a video track

What is your operating system?
KDE Neon 5.21 / Ubuntu 20.04

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?
21.03.21, 64-bit

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?

1. Drop an MP3 into the playlist from a file manager
  2. Drag the MP3 into the timeline

Expected result: an audio track is created with the MP3.
Actual result: a V1 video track is created

Context: I’m editing drone footage, which doesn’t have an audio track, and I like to start with the music track.

Further bug: pressing Ctrl+Z to undo, does not undo the creation of the V1 track.

Not a bug.

You need a video track to add visual effects to an audio file.

I don’t want to add visual effects to an audio file. I want to use it as a skeleton for the video.

How about Ctrl+Z not undoing the creation of the V1 track? Would you say that’s WAI as well?

Just detach the sound and remove the video

Not sure what WAI stands, but moving the audio is really simple to do if you didn’t open an audio track before dragging it to the timeline.
2021-04-16_06-34-28

In my experience using Shotcut, you really don’t need an audio track for audio files.

If you’re using the timeline, the playlist is purely optional. You can skip putting anything in the playlist.

@PaulusMaximus & @Hudson555x: the workaround I had been using was to start by adding an audio track, then dragging my audio file onto it. In this thread, I just wanted to report a possible bug. WAI stands for Working As Intended.

If you’re using the timeline, the playlist is purely optional. You can skip putting anything in the playlist.

Right. I do use transitions and in particular speed ramps for a drone video, so I need to use the Timeline.

It is more of a suggestion than a bug, but many MP3 and music files have cover art and would be detected as have a video stream.

1 Like

Good counter-argument! All that could be left of my suggestion perhaps is to create an audio-only track if the music file only contains audio and no image metadata. But otherwise, feel free to close the topic.