Drag and drop

I am having an issue with importing by way of dragging and dropping my videos and pictures from my computer to my playlist, which is the simplest and fastest way to drag import my material. I have shotcut version 22.04 and I am running windows 10. I can drag and drop to every other video program on my computer but shotcut. I started from default, uninstalled it and reinstalled but…nothing

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎9/‎18/‎2020
OS build 19044.1826
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

Has anyone else experienced this problem with a resolve

I am not having a problem using Explorer or Directory Opus. Are you using Explorer?
Please provide the full path and name of a file that is failing for you.

Hello and thank you for responding. I am trying to import mp4 and jpeg files that are already stored in my folders simply by opening the file on my computer and dragging it to the playlist in my Shotcut app.
I have no problem if I select the photo or video and select the opening option. It imports my options (single or multiple) than it closes only for me to reopen and start again. I find it easier, faster and more convenient to simply open my files and drag and drop for I have different folders to choose from. This process works in other apps with no problem. I have researched via google, youtube…etc. and I have seen THIS PROCESS happen with Shotcut, I just cant and research has not given me a resolve. When I drag the material a small red circle appears with a line through it. I am using google chrome although the videos and photos are stored in my computer. Thank you Shotcut Leader

That is your problem. You should be using a file manager like Explorer. Shotcut handles drag-n-drop of files into its player, timeline, or playlist just fine. You can see many tutorial videos on YouTube where people are doing that. You are doing something weird that you are not explaining well. Maybe you are not hovering the mouse over the correct part of the window (Filters shows this small red circle for not allowed).

I think I misunderstood what you were trying to say. My file manager is an Explorer by default for I am on microsoft windows. I only viewed the examples on youtube where I watched shotcut users open theirs files from theirs computers and simply dragged and dropped in the playlist. If I am indirectly doing anything else to determine a different outcome I have no idea what that would be. I can import my photos and videos other ways into Shotcut and use the drag and drop method with other video editor applications on this computer using this system. So I do not know what I am doing wrong. So I will continue may hoover in different areas in the playlist for I tried to mimic what I visually saw other Shotcut users explaining in an tutorial video do. Eventually I will learn what it is that I am doing or not doing. I do thank you for your response

I just tested using a couple of web browsers to browse the files on the hard drive and drag-n-drop the listed file names from the web browser into Shotcut. I do not have Google Chrome on my Windows machine and will not be installing it. I tested Edge on Windows 11, which uses the same engine as Chrome, and it fails. Shotcut does not receive any data. I tested Windows Movies & TV and VLC media player as well, and they did not work. Then, I tested Firefox on Windows 11 with Shotcut, and it worked. Next, I tested Chrome on macOS with Shotcut, and it worked there. I am simply sharing my testing results when using a web browser for local files even though I do not recommend doing that.

Tested with 22.06.23 (Current latest version at the time of this post)
Windows 10 Home

Drag & Drop works great for me.

I made a little video to show you what you have to do.
shotcut_2022-08-11_14-06-54

If you get an action window in Shotcut, perhaps you are trying to open a variable frame rate video, and Shotcut flags you and wants to know what action to take, and ignore it, yes, you’ll get the red circle symbol.

In this example I have the Shotcut version open trying to drag/drop pics into the playlist.

I thank you SC leader, for I will keep that in mind as I continue to figure out what’s happening. I do have microsoft edge on my computer. Irrelevant to our discussion, before microsoft edge, I gave up on microsoft browsers for I was in school trying to finish online testing by an expiring timeline and the system kept crashing until I changed my browser. I cant remember if I went to Chrome or Firefox. This is helpful and I thank you for taking your time to help.

thank you for the video

thank you hudson555x. I did upgrade to the latest version. I figured out what I was doing wrong. I assumed that if I could import my pics and videos by opening files within Shotcut from the top, left side, selecting my pictures/videos and clicking open, that I could drag and drop using the same process. On the contrary I had to open the Explorer file manager separately and drag the videos in. My first time using it and I really appreciate the feedback and support the first time using the forum. Thank you

I figured out what I was doing wrong. I assumed that if I could import my pics and videos by opening files within Shotcut from the top, left side, selecting my pictures/videos and clicking open, that I could drag and drop using the same process. On the contrary I had to open the Explorer file manager separately and drag the videos in. My first time using it and I really appreciate the feedback and support the first time using the forum. Thank you

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.