Distortion at beginning of exported video

What is your operating system? Windows 10

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)?

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
(Please be specific and use the names as seen in Shotcut, preferably English. Include a screenshot or screen recording if you can. Also, you can attach logs from either View > Application Log or right-click a job and choose View Log.)

I’m new to this program (got tired of VideoPad) and I love it so far and pretty much know how to do all the editing I need to already! The only problem I’m having is that at the beginning of a video I have exported, has black block distortion in the few couple of seconds of the video (shown in the screenshot), then plays normally. Any reason why that is?

I have a suspicion it is the encoder, but I don’t know how to navigate around the different encoding/format options other than to use the default encoder and standard mp4 (which is the preferred accepted format to uploading to social media).

I should say that I have the December 2022 version of Shotcut as the latest version doesn’t even open past loading logo. Maybe I just have to wait until the next version?

Also, it’s happening with the latest Linux version (that I have on my laptop), too.

This happens because that source video is not seeking accurately. You need to select it, and in Properties choose Convert to convert it into something edit-friendly that seeks properly.

Oh, ok! I think I get it. I’ll try that.

It’s still doing it even after converting to an edit-friendly format. I put everything on default settings, so I dunno what’s going on.

Do you have hardware encoder turned on in export?

Is it the “Use hardware encoder” checkbox? If so, then yes. Just clicking on the box says "Nothing found and unchecks itself. When I got into “Configure” right next to it, it gives me h264_amf, h264_nvenc, and h264_qsv options, but all export jobs fail when I try export with any of those.

Play the exported video in Shotcut. Does it still show the same problem? Maybe the problem is in your player. If still looks bad in Shotcut, then the problem is your source video is bad.

Yeah, I think, for whatever reason, Windows Media Player (on my desktop) is doing that with exported videos. On my laptop and phone, it isn’t doing it. Though, oddly, it has a thick green line along the right side of the video when uploading to Instagram. The green line doesn’t show once it is uploaded. Weird, lol.

Thanks for the help!