Discussion about bug report template

What is your operating system?
kalmer@kalmer-GL752VW:~/Linux_Pentablet_V1.2.14.1$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 20.10
Release: 20.10
Codename: groovy

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?
No.

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
1 Create a video with the full bug report including all the metadata required in the bug report template!
2 Create a bug report for the issue mentioned in the step “1” without filling in the textual template and by only naming the issue in the title and linking the video made in the step “1” to your textual report!
3 Wait until you see your report marked as UNLISTED by shotcut who also uses another name Dan Dennedy!
In addition you might also see the following message from him:

As long as you do not use our template and only put into a video, I will hide your reports as in

valid.

There’s not written how the template must be used. A video tells usually more than just textual words. This is why I prefer spending some more time and make the video. Developers should honor the time users take to report discovered issues instead of bullying by unlisting their reports that cover all the necessary metadata in a non-textual form.

If there’s a reasoning for using the template only in textual form please tell us.

Since you posted this publicly, I suppose it’s ok for everybody to give his/her opinion.

I’m only thinking out loud here, but I’d imagine that for anyone who can only take X amount of time each day to browse (and eventually answer to) all the new bugs reports, feature requests and questions on the forum, a simple text report with relevant information and screen captures is preferable than having to watch a video where most of the time the author is not going straight to the point.

If the developers created this written bug report template, it’s probably because it’s the best way for them to handle bug reports.

2 Likes

An unlisted report isn’t editable, so it just remains hanging until relisting.

Well, I suppose nobody would mind if you post new reports. That would not take more time than editing the unlisted ones.

As moderators, Dan and I aspire for this forum to be welcoming and provide value to as many people as possible. In order to do that, we tend to edit posts and bug reports to ensure:

• Questions are clear for all readers
  • Enough details are included to quickly get to the root of the issue
  • Wording will result in qualify search results when others have a similar problem
  • Posts are free of rude or passive aggressive language

I think that sometimes people take offense when their post is unlisted. But they should not. Dan and I usually give feedback about why it is unlisted and we are happy to re-list it after the wording has been improved.

With respect to the “image only” posts, here is an interesting fact to consider: 90% of our forum users are anonymous viewers (not logged in) who came here by following a google search result. That means that for every person that we help by answering their question, 9 more people will anonymously be helped by that post. If a post is only pictures, the result is less likely to help other people.

The highest quality posts include both detailed descriptive text and pictures and steps to reproduce.

I will probably reword the title of this post and change the category. I hope you are not offended.

3 Likes

Suppose a bug is fixed. Or not fixed and a reason is given. The situation is not searchable by other forum users unless text is present. A video alone is not searchable. There is a strong desire to avoid duplicate bug posts and problem requests. Searchable text is critical to that goal.

When a video accompanies text, it is extremely useful and beneficial and appreciated. Everyone loves you for that. From a consumer/reader perspective, simply adding text takes it to a whole new level of usefulness.

2 Likes

SO I have a bug where I would zoom in on a part I split so I have that one part filtered and every time I watch that zoomed-in part in the video, the video plays at 1ms only for that zoomed-in part and I can’t watch the whole part normally when I need to see hear and see the other add ons I put into that zoomed-in part, PLEASE FIX NAD THANK YOU, other than that though very good editor I must say

Please create a new thread and fill out the bug template. A screenshot of the timeline would be useful too. I made an earnest attempt and still have no idea what kind of problem you’re describing.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.