Digitalising: keeping "interlaced"

Hello,

I have as source a video camera recorder (PAL), which is an interlaced source. (Sony Video 8 from year 1986) . And I want to use an usb-grabber and Shotcut for digitalising the tape and want to keep “interlaced”:

Question: What would be the right setting for this?

Maybe:
UT Video
50 frames/sec
Scan mode: interlaced

(?)

Would this work?

Thank you.

I have my VHS-C material scanned (15 years ago) in interlaced mode and I found that for further processing by AI algorithms, I had to decide between a process aimed at processing the interlacing or an algorithm to remove noise and improve details.
Then your question attracted my curiosity.
What are the advantages of keeping interlacing?
In my case, the sawtooths of the interlacing were accentuated with AI because the algorithm understood that they were details to be sharpened. So I had to deinterlace first to avoid that unwanted effect.

Thank you for the hint, that some video filters will have problems with interlaced material.

What are the advantages of keeping interlacing?

The idea was to let the hardware of the TV do the de-interlacing and not to have it done by software right from the start. It can be assumed that de-interlacing by the TV-hardware would lead to better quality.

Thank you for your response.
Given that I am more likely to change my computer before the TV and that software updates (de-interlacing algorithms) are more constant in a computer environment (my smart TV hasn’t received updates to its system in years) I thought that, in my case, another workflow was more convenient.
At the beginning of my edits, I didn’t realize that my material was interlaced. Simply, when I reviewed the footage with VLC, it automatically de-interlaced (the option was enabled by default).
However, in exports as still images when rescaling with AI algorithms, the sawtooths appeared.
I suppose that the final use may swing this choice in one direction or the other.
Thanks again.
I tested UTVideo at 30 FPS and 25 FPS and it worked fine in Shotcut.
However, I don’t know if there are other options (formats, settings, etc) that are better in terms of quality when digitizing the footage.

But did your video you are talkling about have 50 frames/sec ?

No. It has 25 FPS. I can double FPS by interpolation (in Shotcut or with RIFE algorithm), but it is not necessary (at least in the family home videos that I am currently editing).

Most of the time, I tend to do tests (trial and error) with small portions of the footage. This way I avoid wasting a lot of time in long editions and exports if I only want to compare results of different configurations. What is good for me is still not the best for you.
While you receive some advice about your query, you can try things to see how it works for you.
In addition to that, you can even reach conclusions about the settings.

You talked about the video but what about the audio? Keep this in mind if you want to better preserve the sound.

I’m sorry if I can’t be of much help with your question.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.