Default properties for tracks

The ability to set default properties for tracks so that clips added to the track automatically try to take on that property if they can would be very useful and time saving.

I make gaming videos so my format of tracks is fairly consistent, which means I’m often performing the same actions over and over. I record gameplay with multiple audio tracks (1 game audio, 2 voice over, 3 guest voice over). Every video i make has at least the game audio attached to the video and then a second audio track where i drag in the clip again and switch the audio to the files 2nd track (thanks for fixing the glitch in that). It would be great if I could drag in my clips and if I’ve set up the track default then the audio is automatically the files 2nd track.

Just a little thing but would be very nice and timesaving and I assume useful to others that use other properties on a regular basis.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “track properties” and “clips added to the track automatically try to take on that property”.

Do you mean you’d like that when you launch Shotcut, it would have say, 2 video tracks and 3 audio tracks already created in the Timeline?

Not what i mean, that sounds more like a working template for the timeline - which would be great too as I almost always use the same couple of setups of tracks etc.

Quite often I work with a lot of short clips (less than a minute each) in a section video that is maybe 20 mins long. I make my tracks V1 & A1. drag all the files into the playlist - make sure they are ordered by name (as I know that is the correct order) and then drag them into V1. All great I’ve got my video and audio from (track 1 of each file) in V1.

However then I drag all the clips from the playlist into A1 as well, they are all in there lined up to match the video, but I have to go and select each clip and change the audio track in the properties tab to track 2. Basically it’s long and tedious.

I’ve pondered it for a few months while using shotcut as to how it could work without it being a mess for people that don’t want anything to do with it. Hence my thought that if the track could hold properties that would be the default for the clips added to it, then after adding A1 I could set it (perhaps in it’s properties tab, which is currently empty) to default to audio track 2 to new clips added to it.

Does that make more sense? Was trying not to write an essay the first time round but maybe didn’t make it clear.

I think it makes a bit more sens to me, yes.

I didn’t realised that by tracks, you probably meant clips with multiple audio tracks.

Photoshop_QKoqUZa1qv

So, if I understood well this time, you would like that, for example, the clips added to V1 would use the default Audio track #1, but those added to A1 would automatically use Audio track #2.

Is that it?

Yeah that’s pretty much it, I was definitely tripping over two things called tracks!

But of course it’s gotta be settable for each user/project, just because my A1 is where I want Audio track 2 most of the time doesn’t mean it’s where everyone else wants it.

But additionally I don’t know if there’s other properties that are similar that would would benefit from the same treatment -

1 Like

I don’t know if this can be implemented in Shotcut. But yes, I see how that could be useful.
But in the meantime, if you’re on Windows, maybe you could try AutoHotKey. I never used it myself, but it was mentioned a few of times here on the forum.

AutoHotkey is a free, open-source custom scripting language for Microsoft Windows, initially aimed at providing easy keyboard shortcuts or hotkeys, fast macro-creation and software automation that allows users of most levels of computer skill to automate repetitive tasks in any Windows application.