DCI-P3 colorspace

Hi all,
I love Shotcut, and I’m going to use it for my new movie project
That will be shot in DCI-4K (4096x2160)
To take optimal advantage I would like to use the DCI-P3 color space
more info

Now you can only choose from ITU-R BT-709 and ITU-R BT-601
My question is possible to create a new colorspace entry DCI-P3?
or is this a new feature request?

This would be a new feature request. It is on the feature road map indirectly as “higher bit depth support”.

The basic problem is that Shotcut uses an 8-bit gamma pipeline while DCI is a 12-bit linear format. Trying to address the P3 gamut with only 8-bit data would likely create some very banded imagery. Also, not all filters currently packaged in Shotcut understand how to manipulate color in the wider gamut or higher bit depths. So, it is a big task to add true P3 or even Rec.2020 support.

What can be done in the meantime is to make a Rec.709 project as usual, export it to a lossless or intermediate format, then convert it to a DCP using FFmpeg or another tool. This won’t use the full P3 gamut of course, only a 709 subset. But the result will at least be compliant for use with a DCI playout server.

I am not a Shotcut developer and cannot say what feature will be added or when. I am just sharing my experience at trying to make a DCP myself some time ago. :slight_smile:

Hi Austin,

Thank you very much for your fast reply and information!I definitely going to try your advices
I hope that the developers will see that a 12bit color space would be highly appreciated :slight_smile:
Keep up the good work

Maarten

Rest assured the developers know. It just takes a big effort to make it happen.

A couple other thoughts… if you are making a one-time presentation on a cinema projector, it may not be necessary to create a DCP. Some newer projectors have direct HDMI input where you could connect a laptop and play your video with a media player.

Also, if you do make a DCP, choose a video mode in Shotcut that is a true 24.00 or 48.00 frames per second, rather than some 23.98 or other fractional variant.

Your advise made a lot of things clear to me, my GH4 can record DCI 4K 4096-2160 at 24 fps, but it has only 8bit color space, I would like to render the movie finally to DCP
So I realize now that DCI-P3 color space is not mandatory for my project, I just work in 8bit, and later convert it to DCP
So Shotcut is perfect for my project!

DCI-P3 doesn’t use the D65 white point so you’d also need to do a white point conversion. (Then convert to X’Y’Z’ rather than Y’CbCr)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.