Cutting clips from the source to the playlist

I’m hoping there’s an easier way to do this:
I often cut clips out of a source and add them to the playlist. To do this, I:

1. place the cursor where I want the cut (assuming the clip is at the front of the source)
  2. click the cut icon
  3. click on the cut clip to select it
  4. click the scissor icon to copy it to the clipboard, and
  5. click the + sign to add it to the playlist.

Is there an easier way to do this?
Thanks,
r petrie

Just load the video into source. (Open File)
Grab the triangle handles and slide inward, one at a time.

Find the spot you want
2019-08-23_12-31-30
In the playlist tab, click the plus sign.
shotcut_2019-08-23_12-26-27

You can also manipulate it by the current position (number box) here:
Either manually enter the time/frames, then hit I (for In), then O (for out). Keyboard Shortcuts
Scroll wheel works up and down, and same with pressing the arrows up and down, either on screen, or on keyboard. Also page up/page down (keyboard shortcuts).
shotcut_2019-08-23_12-34-45
Format: HH:MM:SS:FF (FF = Frames)

Thanks, that seems much easier than what I was doing. I’ll give it a go.

r.

Thanks Hudson555x - your suggestions worked perfectly and are a much easier way to get clips onto the playlist.

If I can bother you for one other clip related issue. When I add a clip from the playlist to the timeline, if it’s a short clip the joint between the existing clip and the added clip is visible in the timeline. However, if the added clip is long, the timeline displays the end of the added clip and the cursor is at the end.

Is there a way to always have the joint visible in the timeline so that it can be worked on without having to seek it?

thanks in advance,
r.

The normal flow of editing is always left to right, so this is why the playhead is always at the end of the clip.

You can zoom out the timeline (Shortcut: - )
Also hovering your cursor over the slider then scroll wheel up/down. Or just left click-drag the adjuster works too.
shotcut_2019-08-25_18-15-16

You can also use the Shortcut: Alt + Left or click here to get back to the beginning of the clip you just added. Click it again, brings you back to the beginning of the next clip, etc…
shotcut_2019-08-25_18-13-17
Alt + Right to go the other way.

Thank you for your response and suggestions. Because of the left-to-right editing strategy, most techniques still don’t leave the joint in an easily editable place (either far to the right or far to the left).

Your suggestion about zooming has led to a technique that is fairly easy and useful. If you zoom out 'til the joint is visible, then place the cursor to the right of the joint, when you reset the zoom, the joint is in an easily editable place.

Still if you’re adding (and editing) many clips to the timeline, this becomes a lengthy and tedious process.

Thanks for your help,
r.

What you mean by joint?
Without trying to guess what you mean, which spot 1, 2 or 3 are you referring to?
Something different? If so, please provide screenshot.
2019-08-29_10-30-34

Yes editing is a lengthy process depending upon the project you’re doing. Learning and using keyboard shortcuts will greatly reduce your time. It’s a skill not easily learned, and everyone has a different editing style or work-flow.

You can also use these buttons to navigate the timeline.
2019-08-29_10-36-17

Need more room? Break out the timeline and resize it to what you need, even put it on a 2nd monitor if you have one. Timeline window can be stretched to more than one monitor. I only have 2 monitors, so I’m not sure about more than 2.
2019-08-29_10-44-08

(Timeline expanded to almost full screen)

Thank you for all your help. What I was referring to was that in your illustration (very helpful) if the second and third clip are long and you want to add a transition at the point (1), when the last clip is dropped, the cursor moves to the end - where 3 is positioned. That means that the point where the transition needs to be added (1) may be off screen. If you use the left facing button you illustrate below the first illustration (sorry to be so wordy) the cursor does go back to the beginning of the last clip (and is at the place where the clips meet, but this is usually to the far left of the screen and often more maneuvering is necessary to be able to work comfortably on the joining of the two clips. It’s certainly possible to get it done (and there are many methods for doing so) but it’s cumbersome. Most of the processing aspects of shotcut are so smooth that I’m just surprised that this common activity is not.

Have you tried “Center the Playhead”?

That’s very helpful - thanks for sticking with this, and with me. I appreciate the help and the more I learn the more I like shotcut.

Best
r.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.