Cuts, Fade in, Fade outs

Sir,

I have recently started making videos on social media and have achieved descent success. of-course Shotcut has helped me a lot. Thank you very much team Shotcut. Still learning.

When I am creating B roll or creating a sequence of clips or combining clips while editing , I use ‘fade in- fade out filter’ with ‘adjust opacity instead of fade with black’ box ticked. I usually set the duration as 5 frames for in- out.

Is this whole process is good practice? any shortcomings? Or should i use hard cuts?

This is my latest videos link.

Please guide me.

3 Likes

You need to do cuts without any transition in some places of your video, where cuts are not too much hard ,as if you add transitions everywhere it’s a sign of a person who is totally new to video editing, So, make some cuts without transitions then it will look more professional.

2 Likes

Thank you very much

1 Like

My pleasure.

We each have our own aesthetic preferences.

While I love the video (it brought back memories of so much of my life), I found the transitions to be too abrupt. I use the same technique, I prefer a fade length of fifteen frames.
I rarely use a cross-fade; I simply fade the upper track on the Timeline.

3 Likes

I think this video was well done. It gives me a slice of life of that place. Nothing is off-putting and the visuals are interesting. With B-Roll transitions, there are no hard and fast rules so it’s up to the editor in terms of what advances the story best. In my case, don’t use just one transition in my videos. I want to keep the viewers interest my mixing it up so that it’s not predictable. Some scenes could’ve used more sound design to add to the “realness” of the scene.

Overall, great job on this video. It’s not a surprise why you’re experiencing success.

3 Likes

Thank you very much…

1 Like

Sir,

Thank you very much for such a praise.
I am your channels subscriber. People like you are making our life much easier…

Yes sound design suggestion is great…

Will keep learning…

1 Like

Sir,

You are welcome to experience this life… Kolhapur, Maharashtra India…

I just visited Kolhapur once, I can’t see the place totally because I stayed there for 3 Hrs and then flew away to Delhi.

1 Like

Do visit next time…must visit place… so many great things to explore

I appreciate the kind words. Let me know if there are any tutorials you’d like to see to help you make better videos.

1 Like

Yes…i haven’t seen all of your videos…lot to be learned…but would like to learn different types of timelapse techniques…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.