Cutout stroke key

Hi @Zach_75

What do you mean by Cutout stroke key.
What is that key suppose to do?

cutout stroke button that removes background… such as removing the sky in a video. there are videos about how to use it but the option isn’t there in the app.

He is referring to the android app, which is straight up imitating shotcut to gain popularity.
Or maybe it’s capcut I suspect.

I am not sure if your are a kid or a person who is extremely old to understand technology, but the feature you are mentioning is literally in an Android app named shotcut, and any person with a little bit of knowledge about tech can differentiate a phone and a desktop.

I think you’re referring to this video:-

It’s pretty easy to notice that the shotcut app provided here is desktop only, and what you are mentioning is smartphone only.
If you want to remove sky, and the background is enough differentiated from the subject, than you can use chroma key.

Also, I believe the video shows capcut, not shotcut. The title and thumnail are misleading.

We do not have elite memberships, and we do not make or support the Android Shotcut app. “We” are the people who write the software through this web site (see links at the top of this page) and setup this forum.

It is understandable that people want to discuss about the Android app with the same name (there are many forums dedicated to products that are not run by the maker of the product). However, this forum is mainly about the original Shotcut software, which does not have a cutout stroke effect. It might be possible to recreate it.

In any case, probably best not to discuss the Android app here because that leads to confusion, when there is enough confusion in video editing and tech in general.

shotcut doesn’t work on chromebook either?

I assume that is rhetorical. The Shotcut download page lists Windows, MacOS, and Linux as supported Operating Systems. If you are on a chromebook, try the Capcut web version since your options are severely limited (and from a previous post it looks like Capcut is what you are probably after anyway).

thanks it worked on motorola cell phone which i thought was Android… maybe this Samsung galaxy is the issue… i don’t know why the app would still work but not have that feature on this device… got the capcut now thanks. i see shotcut doesn’t seem work on chromebook either of course

The original Shotcut that this forum is about (I do not speak for the Android app) does run on ChromeOS by enabling support for Linux apps. I recommend to use Flatpak because supports the ARM CPU that some Chromebooks use.

You can try clearing the cache, and updating your smartphone for the android app that’s imitating shotcut. Also you can try to clear your play store data, that usually solves the problem, also try to reboot. If nothing works, reset your phone.

If you need to install the original version of shotcut on Chromebook, then you can checkout this:-

If you intend to install the android shotcut, I believe it should be already available for Chromebook, try to enable playstore. I don’t know if it’s already enabled or not, because I have not used a Chromebook for long time.
Otherwise, for what you want, there are online tools like unscreen or remove. bg to remove video background automatically. They usually need a paid subscription, but unscreen can do a lot for free.

1 Like

:ok_hand::pray:

In this desktop Shotcut app, you need to first export the clip with chroma key using one of the “alpha” export presets to give it a true transparent background. Then, do like these screenshots show (video with alpha on V3, color clip on F2 for the stroke color).

This shows how you use the Mask: From File filter with your video-with-alpha clip to apply the clip’s alpha channel to a color generator clip:

Then, add a Alpha Channel: Adjust filter with one of the Grow options and increase the amount: