Custom track sizes (height)

Dear Forum,

Not sure if this was suggested before… Apologies if it was!
But would it be possible to setup different track sizes (height) per track?
It would be very useful to customise that!
I usually follow a lot a music track to adjust transitions/cuts and it would be great to have a single audio track much larger than the other tracks (specially the video tracks)…
I think this would be useful for people editing video on Full HD resolution screens…
Thank you for reading this.
I wish you all a great day.

Best regards,
J.

A function like this would be great.

At the very least, it would help to allow more different sizes for all tracks between the smallest and next bigger height.
The smallest size is too small. The next larger size is often already too high.

That is true when you use Timeline menu > Track height to resize the height of the tracks.

pNzTNXcVGW

However, if you position your mouse cursor in the clips part (not the Head part) of the timeline and then use Shift + Mouse wheel, you get more increments of sizes.

3 Likes

I disagree on this, the smallest size is excelent for me: most of the time I don’t care about thumbnails or audio waveform so I always keep the bars small to fit more tracks in the view.

1 Like

Wow.
That is the funktion, i was looking for.
Thanks!!!

But i do not understand, why mousewheel can do things, what menu does not can?! :thinking:

1 Like

Hi, that’s good to know.
I do all the editing with a Logitech trackball on Linux… Unfortunately, I can’t reproduce that.
Any way to go around that limitation?
Thank you.

I’m not familiar with trackballs. And I’m even less familiar with Linux.
I quickly looked for trackballs though on Google… Most I saw have one wheel and some others have 2 wheels… Since you say that you can’t use the Shift + wheel shortcut, I deduce that there are also zero-wheel trackballs…

One option I see is adding a cheap mouse to your computer and use it to resize the tracks. Or upgrade your trackball.

Learning something every day!

1 Like

Hello.
I’ve also been doing a little searching on the net. (Learning something every day!)
Logitech offers a configuration tool for its keyboards, mouse… unfortunately only for Windows and MacOS.
I’m not familiar with Linux either, but I’ve read on a few forums that you can simulate the scroll wheel on some Logitech trackballs with command lines, especially on Ubuntu.

Maybe you should create a new post for Linux users to tell you if it’s possible and share links or how to do it.

1 Like

Hi Musicalbox,
Thank you for your update.
This works on Linux Mint 21.3:

" Open a terminal window. Navigate to:

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/

Create a file for the trackball configuration. My config is 50-trackball.conf . I did this as root.

$ sudo su
# nano 50-trackball.conf

This is the code I pasted into this new file.

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier      "Marble Mouse"
    MatchProduct    "Logitech USB Trackball"
    Driver          "libinput"
    Option          "ScrollMethod" "button"
    Option          "ScrollButton" "8"
Option		"MiddleEmulation" "on"
EndSection

Save the file and reboot. Success! When I hold down button 8 (left back), my trackball movements become scroll."

Original post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmint/comments/fzd3u4/trackball_scrolling_in_linux_mint_how_i_got_my/

I can confirm that this works well on that distro.

Glad it works for you @josept :+1:
But you should thank @SergeC instead. He was the one who suggested to use command lines to configure your trackball.

1 Like

I gladly share the joy of victory with you. :rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks SergeC!

2 Likes

Could you share your Logitech trackbal model? Are you without the scroll wheel on the trackball itself? If you do have a scroll wheel, are you holding down Shift while scrolling?

I use a Logitech MX Ergo. It does have a scroll wheel.

Shift + scroll wheel works for me on Linux Mint 21.3 (Virtual Box), and Shotcut 24.01.28.

VirtualBoxVM_2024-02-17_10-01-34

You’ve found the code for Linux Mint. Glad it works.

Hi,

My trackball is a Logitech Trackman Marble.

1 Like

Ah, I remember those. Yes, the one without a scroll wheel. :grin:
I used the Elecom Deft for about a year before going to Logitech’s MX Ergo.

The weird things we use to escape using a mouse. :rofl: